• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Brake Rotors

jmahall

Silver Level Sponsor
The picture is just lens distortion, as to the rest, all is AOK. I did check if both halves of the calipers are operating, and they are.
The mystery persists.

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Uneven pad deposition on the rotors can cause brake pulsation. The only solution is to mechanically clean the rotors to bare metal.

jmahall

Silver Level Sponsor
I know what you're talking about, but these have been freshly turned less than 30 miles ago.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Jack, is it possible the pads deposited some material on the rotors in the first few miles? Seems possible the pads had some coating on the surface.

Tom

jmahall

Silver Level Sponsor
Had two different sets of pads installed, no difference. It's been doing this since the git go. Before the disks were turned and after.

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
It's been doing this since the git go. Before the disks were turned and after

Okay,

Just a thought, you're convinced there's no discernible problem with the front brakes, but you still have an issue.

Have you checked your rear brakes? Drums not cracked or out of round? Rough surface finish on parts of the friction surface? Both leading and trailing shoes are in the correct orientation? Wheel cylinders are able to slide smoothly in the slots?

HAGD,

jmahall

Silver Level Sponsor
Did a wheels off the ground run with video on both sides. Rears ran true and smooth under breaking.

Spectre64GT

Gold Level Sponsor
There are a number of small passages in the calipers that require special attention.

Even though the WSM says "not to split" the caliper unless a professional does it, I have rebuilt several with excellent results.
Some Girling Type 14 have the same or almost the same dimensions as the Type 16. Those that are different have an 11.3 mm mounting holes vs 12.5mm. They have an overall depth of 111 mm vs 114. Has anyone ever tried a 14 when a 16 was not readily available?

jmahall

Silver Level Sponsor
Brake issue finally solved. Wasn't the brakes after all. The car just couldn't take the alloy wheels on the back. Still a mystery. As soon as I put a set of the stock steel rims on it the problem went away.

Now I need one trim ring and 2-3 hub caps to finish the project. Anyone out there have these?

Thanks

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_5668.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_5668.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 17