• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Physics /Math and an Alpine 4 into 1 header

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
This should match any Alpine engine configuration with header tuning via the total length of the tubes. Tube length can be changed on the last link at the bottom (24" to 33"). These lengths accommodate a wide range for various engine setups.

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
Utilizing all the Alpine communities' input this is the 3.0 version of a 4 into 1 Header using 1 1/4" tubing.

On the bench

upload_2022-7-15_15-44-28.png

In a Series IV with 1" clearance from generator.

upload_2022-7-15_15-45-31.png

In Series IV with good clearance for steering arm.

upload_2022-7-15_15-46-28.png

On bench with Stromberg manifold.

upload_2022-7-15_15-47-0.png

On bench with downdraft Zeniths.

upload_2022-7-15_15-47-57.png

On bench with single downdraft Weber.

upload_2022-7-15_15-48-33.png

Tube lengths are 28" +/- 3.5% for the above configuration. Tube lengths can vary from 24" to 33" giving adaptability for desired performance.

Last edited:

alpine_64

Donation Time
Jerry,

A very noticeable change to the routing of #2. Assume this was to help balance out the lengths? Starting to look like a proper snake pit

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
Yes, Michael. #2 is not exactly 28" length but real close. #1 now has more clearance than stock headers at the generator and #3 gained 2" in length to be real close to 28". Any variations on tube length will occur after the final collecting bends for all tubes. This morning I'm working on some fine tuning to the mount plate to fit the Redline "goose neck" duel sidedraft Weber intake manifold.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Jerry, I know you have your hands full in this project. Thanks for staying with it! Looks very nice. I'm certain the final product will be most satisfying. Lots of minute detail to get where you want,

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Stunning job Jerry. Looks as if you are almost there. Once welded up the bunch of bananas and specifically the Webers will benefit from ceramic coating :rolleyes:

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
Using a previously modified 15 degrees straight manifold I did the following alterations to adapt to my 4 into 1 header.

Cut off the additional attachment point on early heads. Ground the bottom of #1 and #4 intake to clear header. #2, #3, and #4 had already been done by a previous owner (#4 needed a bit more). This shouldn't compromise the structural integrity of the setup.

hors467h.jpg

#1 modification - #2 had been done by previous owner for stock header.
p4ltz8f2.jpg

#4 modification - #3 had been done by previous owner.

upload_2022-7-18_13-36-30.jpeg

Clearance #1

upload_2022-7-18_13-38-25.jpeg

Clearance #4
upload_2022-7-18_13-38-53.jpeg

upload_2022-7-18_13-37-36.jpeg

With Webers attached.

upload_2022-7-18_13-43-38.jpeg

upload_2022-7-18_13-47-37.jpeg

upload_2022-7-18_13-47-56.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2022-7-18_13-36-11.jpeg
    upload_2022-7-18_13-36-11.jpeg
    87.4 KB · Views: 5

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
Now it appears the 4 into 1 system will accommodate any stock intake manifold. Weber configurations will take minimal modification to the manifold.

The next step will be to test the header out on a dynamo meter. Comparing stock headers to this 4 into 1 composition.

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor
Now it appears the 4 into 1 system will accommodate any stock intake manifold. Weber configurations will take minimal modification to the manifold.

The next step will be to test the header out on a dynamo meter. Comparing stock headers to this 4 into 1 composition.
Are you going into production with this?

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
Are you going into production with this?
Gordon,
The development motivation was to match my math/science background to my amateur engineering capabilities to make a proper 4 into 1 Alpine header. I will have a jig for making more units as needed. But, I want true data to see if it even makes a difference to performance via dynamo meter measurements. Understand I have six Sunbeam Alpines. Two racing - two Harrington Le Mans and a Series III and a Series IV.

Something I haven't mentioned. The header will be equipped with anti-reversion components to prevent gases from returning back into any cylinder.

Last edited:

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Jerry, you are definitely on a good way. Keep on optimizing this banana bunch.
What makes me a bit puzzled however is the last sentence. I was always under the impression that a certain amount of back pressure increases the charge load into every cylinder. If not I'ld expect that you loose power rather than gain it...

Last edited:

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
I've designed the header (tubing size and length) to try and get maximum scavenging for various configurations (specifically tube length as related to cam specifications) of the Alpine engine (400-431cc/cylinder). Implementing a reversion component prevents an exhaust wave from interfering with the intake pressure. Getting flow absolutely perfect is every race engine builder's goal.

Watch this video https://www.google.com/search?clien...ecessary#ip=1&kpvalbx=_Vw3XYqocssD0A5GluOAM16
While the presenter is quick on his delivery he covers all aspects of the physics behind reducing back pressure from interfering with the engine's molecular flow. A reversion component will prevent the back flow from interfering with the engines performance if the builder doesn't get everything regarding flow and the timing of valve open /closure perfect. I think my header design will work close to perfect. However, if it doesn't a reversion component may help with negative flow.

Last edited:

alpine_64

Donation Time
Its great work Jerry. And like thats its iterative and will then be tested in back to backs.. Really look forward to the results.

Ill have to get you to send me a set where the runners are all individual and not welded to the mounting face... The ikea flat pack alpine header .... The "Lögan"

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
The next step will be to test the header out on a dynamometer. Comparing stock headers to this 4 into 1 composition.

Jerry,

I hope you have time to also run the the later cast iron 4-2-1 unit in your testing. Just a matter of testing comparisons using the same baseline engine so apples are compared to apples. That unit seems to be questionable to most looking for an upgrade - maybe correctly - but I don't recall anyone ever posting numbers from an actual, comparable test.

Thanks for your efforts,

Last edited:

alpine_64

Donation Time
Jerry,

I hope you have time to also run the the later cast iron 4-2-1 unit in your testing. Just a matter of testing comparisons using the same baseline engine so apples are compared to apples. That unit seems to be questionable to most looking for an upgrade - maybe correctly - but I don't recall anyone ever posting numbers from an actual, comparable test.

Thanks for your efforts,
Iirc i read on some performance study for rally prep the later cast header when port matched flowed as well as the series I/II 4 branch headers