• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Valve cover gasket

Acollin

Platinum Level Sponsor
1966 series V pretty much stock

I did a valve adjustment and noticed my paper gasket had torn.
I then did a little searching and read about the cork vs paper controversy. I ordered a new cork gasket from SS, but was wondering why one would use a gasket at all when silicon sealers are available and silicon gaskets seem to be an option— although the silicon gasket supplier seems to no longer use the posted web address.
Why not simply lay in a bead of silicon sealant.?

thanks all
Andrew

mxp01

Platinum Level Sponsor
I use the cork gasket. I don’t use silicone because I check the valve lash a couple times a season and don’t feel like cleaning up silicone every time.

I have had zero problems with the cork gasket and my rocker cover is one of the few places that does NOT leak oil.

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
If you contact Alpine Innovations they sell solid rubber/silicon gaskets for the tappet chest and the rocker cover. (They also have a new product for the sump that looks impressive but I haven't used it yet). You can use their gaskets over and over and they simply do not leak. I park my Alpine over an old white carpet in my garage and it is totally leak free.
Tim R

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
I use a cork gasket and put gasket sealer (aviation type) on the bottom (head side only). It stays in place, doesn't leak and it's easy to remove and replace the valve cover for adjustments. Just another option to the ones mentioned.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
My experience with cork gaskets in the past is that they eventually dry out and get hard and brittle.

alpine_64

Donation Time
I used to use cork but also used sealant.. And they would leak. The paper ones with sealant worked better.

A small tip.. Flatten the rocker cover mounting face thry can be a bit wavy.