• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Brake upgrade

Floor guy

Donation Time
I have a 1966 series v. I plan on upgrading the brakes. What is the best and easiest master cylinder upgrade? I have seen the wilwood master and also have seen various other ones dual reservoir setups. Will a front disk upgrade for a tiger work on a alpine? Speedway has a kit for a tiger that is basically a wilwood setup.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
What engine are you running?

Reason for asking is the carburetor spacing between it and the firewall.

Not much clearance in some cases.

I find very little need to even consider changing the stock front brake system.

The Alpine has a good disc brake system IMO.

Perhaps you should consider taking a good look at the rear!

Floor guy

Donation Time
1725 My front system is completely locked up. The wheels spin but I cant push the brake pedal at all.

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
I am planning on running the stock front disks on my alger project, but I think I will convert the postal jeep rear end to disks as well.

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
1725 My front system is completely locked up. The wheels spin but I cant push the brake pedal at all.

Not being able to push the brake pedal at all most likely indicates that the master cylinder is corroded / frozen. If the master cylinder is OK (unlikely at best), the other possibilities include a corroded / frozen brake booster or corroded / frozen front calipers.

Wilwood says the P/N 140-11743 front brake kit is "Tiger Only." The only significant difference between the late Alpine and Tiger front suspension is that the Alpine is rear-steer and the Tiger is front-steer which means a different steering arm. I suspect that the late Alpine steering arm could be made to work with the Wilwood Tiger brake kit, but I do not know of anyone who has done so. I would ask Wilwood before spending $1,500 for a brake setup that might not work.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Floor Guy, Barry gives sound advice (as usual).

If your Alpine has been sitting for a while the master cylinder could easily have frozen from corrosion.

Disconnect the pressure line from the cylinder and try pushing the pedal.

Removal may be most expedient method.