• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Mystery Fitting

RunnerDuck

Donation Time
I am putting my 1960 SI back together after thirty years of being apart. Believe it or not I've been successful at finding almost all parts because I did a good job of marking them.

I stumbled upon a fitting that I have no idea where it goes. I asked Rick McLeod at Sunbeam Specialties and he had nothing like it or could identify it.

So it's time to turn to all you experts. To the best of my knowledge my Sunbeam is very original. The part I'm looking for is a fitting that goes on the end of a heater/water hose. The engine is not back from the machine shop yet and won't be installed for another month or so. I'd like to have this fitting before I get that far along and then have to wait/find it.

Here's the hose and fitting. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Water Hose.jpg

Hose Fitting.jpg

Thanks so much,

Ken

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
What is the ID of the hose? And the thread size of the nut? My first thought was a fuel line connection. But I have a series V, so ... :)

Mike

RunnerDuck

Donation Time
Sorry, I thought I mentioned 1/2" ID. The hex on the nut is 3/4, I don't know what the threads are. Stamped on the side of hose it says, "Heater Hose".

Ken

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Ok. Heater hose. The nut is the odd part. The hose usually just slips over a nipple for the connection. Below is a diagram from WSM 124.

Mike

upload_2022-7-13_23-32-15.png

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Ken,

Believe that is the remains of the end of the manifold to head water pipe. That is part of the head end which threads onto a fitting on the lower rear corner of the head. It is a compression style fitting with a ferrule which is compressed between the two threaded parts and the tubing to create a seal.

The manifold end is completely missing, obviously.

Have fun,

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
The nut part appears to be #251 while the tube appears to be part of #249. Not sure the hose was needed unless it was run to the water pump fitting to bypass the manifold water passage.

Complete assembly uses parts:

> #249 tubing
> #250 ferrule
> #251 compression nut
> #252 banjo fitting
> #253 banjo bolt
> #254 seal
> #255 seal
> #256 head fitting
> #257 seal

upload_2022-7-14_0-2-9.png

RunnerDuck

Donation Time
Don,

Good suggestions but I think in your first reply that line is brass.

In the second reply I think you're close. I'm thinking that the fitting in this photo is the closest (210) but it's a male and mine is a female.

Engine001.jpg

So I guess I'm still not sure what I have.

Ken

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Don,

Good suggestions but I think in your first reply that line is brass. It's not because it's magnetic.

In the second reply I think you're close. I'm thinking that the fitting in this photo is the closest (210) but it's a male and mine is a female. Wrong end.

View attachment 26610

So I guess I'm still not sure what I have.

Ken

Pictures

Attachments

• waterpipe 006.JPG
    waterpipe 006.JPG
    169.4 KB · Views: 40
  • waterpipe 007.JPG
    waterpipe 007.JPG
    186.7 KB · Views: 39
  • waterpipe 009.JPG
    waterpipe 009.JPG
    288.1 KB · Views: 40
  • waterpipe 018.JPG
    waterpipe 018.JPG
    191.3 KB · Views: 40

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Are you sure those metal parts actually go with the heater hose? Maybe they were never together as an assembly?

Mike

RunnerDuck

Donation Time
Good point Mike. Since the car has been apart for thirty years almost anything is possible but I did have the two pieces saved together and the stub pipe was stuck in the water hose so I'm really quite positive they go together.

Thanks,
Ken

RunnerDuck

Donation Time
Don,

That is the fitting I need but it came off of the rubber heater hose. Perhaps I could find that part (249) somewhere and cut the end off.

That still wouldn't tell me where it's supposed to go.

Ken

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
That still wouldn't tell me where it's supposed to go.

Ken,

Okay, it seems I've misunderstood your intent. You're not interested in returning your engine to its original form and function, with the water passage through the manifold operational. You are just concerned with reassembling the engine to the status from which it was disassembled. If that is correct, then I apologize for my confusion.

Your assembly, to that status, will bypass the manifold water passage completely. The other end of the hose will attach to one leg of the "Y" shaped fitting on the water pump.

The fitting you suggested, #210 from the front of the manifold, is too large to fit the port in the head. I spent part of this evening removing one of those fittings to check. So, That's out.

The tubing is a thin wall 7/16 steel tube. Apparently the fittings are made to a Whitworth standard. No matter how I measure them, they don't match what BSP standards I could find. That let's out the suggestion of getting a BSP adapter to fit the hose. I did find some 7/16 tubing listed, but due to material or minimum purchase amount, it wasn't going to be an economical choice.

Knowing there are many engines with the manifold heat passage bypassed, your best chance would probably be to post in the wanted section you need the rear manifold pipe assembly. I don't consider using that pipe section as a safe, reliable choice for a pressurized environment because it's smaller than 1/2 inch and will not have a bead to prevent the hose and clamp from sliding off the pipe. Just some things to be aware of in the future.

Hope this helps,

Last edited:

RunnerDuck

Donation Time
WOW Don, You've given me a lot to think about. I've always assumed the engine had not been messed with. I guess I'll wait until I start putting the engine in to really figure out what's going on.

Thanks for all your efforts they are truly appreciated.

Ken