• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Historical perspective about 2000GT Toyota

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
If you don't recall the 2000GT, the Rapier and Alpine coupes would have been on the drawing boards at very nearly the same time. The GT maybe a year or two ahead.

Would you believe there were only two convertibles - both made for a movie?

alpine_64

Donation Time
Iirc there was 1 convertible made for the movie then later toyota made a second for promotional purposes after the movie, a blue car iirc.

As a side note.. The "convertible" was actually an open car, they never built a soft top for it.

Back in the early 90s i was lucky enough to go for a ride in one of the 2000GTs at the time in Australia. It was sold back to Japan for around $au100k .. Which was a lot of money at the time

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks Michael,

I was thinking only one open car was made for the movie. The info I found quickly was a bit lacking for details on the GT. It just said two were made for a movie. I'm not sure it even named the movie. It wouldn't surprise me a bit to find most anyone interested in the car, already knows the movie.

I knew the GT was small but didn't realize it is only a 91.7 inch wheelbase and ~ 2400 lbs. That's essentially Miata (NB) sizing.

So, the burning question, what was your impression of the car and your ride experience?

alpine_64

Donation Time
Thanks Michael,

I was thinking only one open car was made for the movie. The info I found quickly was a bit lacking for details on the GT. It just said two were made for a movie. I'm not sure it even named the movie. It wouldn't surprise me a bit to find most anyone interested in the car, already knows the movie.

I knew the GT was small but didn't realize it is only a 91.7 inch wheelbase and ~ 2400 lbs. That's essentially Miata (NB) sizing.

So, the burning question, what was your impression of the car and your ride experience?
Haha.. The movie was James Bond 007... Connery was to big to fit in the coupe they used for shooting and it was hard to get a clear shot of them in the car.. So Toyota cut the roof off....

mikephillips

Donation Time
"You only live twice Mister Bond" said Blofeld…

I noticed once when watching that film, when they did the chase scenes with the car revving, the scenery moving in front, the gauges were all at their turned off positions. They forgot to either mechanically move the needles or keep the dash mostly out of view...

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
"You only live twice Mister Bond" said Blofeld…

I noticed once when watching that film, when they did the chase scenes with the car revving, the scenery moving in front, the gauges were all at their turned off positions. They forgot to either mechanically move the needles or keep the dash mostly out of view...

Good catch, Mike.

At 1:24 in this clip>

mikephillips

Donation Time
When you start noticing those type errors in films or tv, hard to stop. Like when a shot goes back and forth from side to side and hair is in a different place or glasses got back and forth from full to empty and back to full. Actually can be annoying...

alpine_64

Donation Time
When you start noticing those type errors in films or tv, hard to stop. Like when a shot goes back and forth from side to side and hair is in a different place or glasses got back and forth from full to empty and back to full. Actually can be annoying...
You have a continuity fetish ;-)