• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Under Hood Sound Deadoning

bkasl

Bronze Level Sponsor
Noticed the latest video from the UK Sunbeam Channel on rotors and the car being worked on had aftermarket sound deadoning material under the hood.
Reminded me of a project I did back in the 70's and why I removed it. Any other owners have this added for sound/heat? Brand? How attached?
Thanks

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Here is one style from the factory. I have a SIV GT with this type insulation and also made a duplicate frame for my Blue Boy V6

Attachments

• Alpine w under hood Insulation GT 8450.jpg
    Alpine w under hood Insulation GT 8450.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 56

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Yes, there is a wire frame to hold in the insulation. I had a mat made of fire retardant fabricate. Looks nice and adds some noise reduction.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Yes, there is a wire frame to hold in the insulation. I had a mat made of fire retardant fabricate. Looks nice and adds some noise reduction.
Iirc there were also some clips to hold the mesh frame.
Iirc there were 2 types of the GT sound insulation frame. One as pictured was for the batwimg filter. There was one with a smaller opening for the single solex as used on later s3GT and the SIVGT... Think i had photos of both somewhere.

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
We use self adhesive foil backed foam under the bonnet (hood), it comes on a wide roll. We use self adhesive silent coat or Dynomat on the bulkhead, transmission tunnel (inside the car and outside) and also inside door skins and we apply the melting bitumen sheets for the floors. The cars are very mechanically quiet with no rattles, squeaks or knocks. The doors shut with a deep clunk and feel really high quality. Sometimes we ride in a 'normal' Alpine with minimal or no sound proofing and it sounds very different!
Tim R

Attachments

• P1140180.JPG
    P1140180.JPG
    543.7 KB · Views: 47
  • P1140184.JPG
    P1140184.JPG
    610 KB · Views: 47
  • P1140147.JPG
    P1140147.JPG
    525.7 KB · Views: 46
  • P1140914.JPG
    P1140914.JPG
    522 KB · Views: 46

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
I remember seeing a VERY nice S-IV (GT ???) with under-hood insulation at a British car show in Townsend, TN about 20+ years ago. The car was owned by a couple of elderly brothers and was a striking copper-ish color. The insulation was quilted and was held in place by a wire grid. According to the owners, the under-hood insulation was removed anytime the car was driven (apparently not much) to prevent oil streaks.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Here's a picture of my Blue Boy with the GT Insulation frame holding the blue fire retardant Insulation in place with the original clips prescribed for the task,

Also a picture of a GT wire frame.20220712_184134.jpg 20220712_184206.jpg

BEpine

Platinum Level Sponsor
Dan, Where did you get the fire retardant insulation? I have a S3 GT with the wire frame. I'm needing to replace the original insulation.
Thanks,
Bob

alpine_64

Donation Time
Dan, Where did you get the fire retardant insulation? I have a S3 GT with the wire frame. I'm needing to replace the original insulation.
Thanks,
Bob
Do you want a proper quilted uplosted panel for the bonnet.. Or you can buy fireproof self adhesive thick sound insulation foam at places like summit. You could use that and powder coat the retaining frame and fit infront it will look clean and level.

BEpine

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks, I'll check that out. I do have the original upholstered panel and it looks it age so looking to replace it.