• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Four shots and Covid.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Barb and I have taken two Covid vaccinations and two boosters. We now have Covid, received as a freebie from our daughter-in-law, who also has her allotment of shots. So far, I have to say the shots are worth it. While all are certainly aware that they are sick, we are three days into it and the major affect seems to be exhaustion. Everyone is very tired and has (pick one or two) headache, severe cold symptoms, aches and pains, eyes hurt, general weakness. Sure makes for a quiet house!
Bill

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
Not as difficult to manage as mating a Sunbeam bellhousing to a Volvo trans. Hope you all are doing well..

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
Barb and I have taken two Covid vaccinations and two boosters. We now have Covid, received as a freebie from our daughter-in-law, who also has her allotment of shots. So far, I have to say the shots are worth it. While all are certainly aware that they are sick, we are three days into it and the major affect seems to be exhaustion. Everyone is very tired and has (pick one or two) headache, severe cold symptoms, aches and pains, eyes hurt, general weakness. Sure makes for a quiet house!
Bill
Both Susan and I recently encountered the dreaded bug...similar symptoms as described by you. Like you we were both shot and boosted. Be well, Bill.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
An important fact about Covid. Just because you no longer test positive does not mean you are well. Just means you are no longer contagious. Old Man Coved is not through with you.
Bill

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Got the 'vid at a big convention, with Chinese visitors, in early February of 2020, long before there was any tests, vaccine or even any awareness of the threat. The symptoms, in retrospect, were very clearly 'vid. Lasted 3 months, but I was fine.

Got it again a year later when that second round hit... just a day or two of illness, and about 10 hours of elevated temperature... and at that point I still wasn't eligible for the vaccine because I was too healthy, not old enough and didn't smoke.

Later, when the vaccine came out I asked my doc and she said "Why? You've had this twice - at this point your natural antibodies are far better than any shot could offer!" So... I didn't get vaxxed, and neither did the wife because, naturally, she'd also got the 'vid those same times when I did, and she similarly survived just fine.

Over Christmas this past year my son, who is a medical professional in an emergency room, brought home the latest variant when he spent the holidays with us. He is vaxxed, but got sick as a dog for about a week. Wife and I had light symptoms for about a day and that was it.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Later, when the vaccine came out I asked my doc and she said "Why? You've had this twice - at this point your natural antibodies are far better than any shot could offer!" So... I didn't get vaxxed, and neither did the wife because, naturally, she'd also got the 'vid those same times when I did, and she similarly survived just fine.

Kevin,

Quite surprised at your health care professionals advice. Firstly, its been proven that covid recovery + vaccine gave extra high immunity against the alpha and delta strains of the virus.. Now a 2020/early '21 memory.

Now with omni and the Ba5 strains the original antibodies (which by now will be weak) are not much use vs the new strains... And while the vaccine is helpful even it is now mostly useful at stopping serious and long term illness rather than mitigation/prevention.

Sadly our bodies antibodies vs Ba.5 especially seem to only last around 28days before you are ready for another round of the virus....

To quote an viroligist friend when i asked when he could see an end to this .. "This things a fxxxxng PITA the way it's mutating and evolving, it mutates fast and in more unexpected ways than I've seen... The best outcome would be to go back and stop it happening in the first place... And i dont do time travel"

If you have the opportunity to get an MRNA shot... Take it.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
I appreciate your point of view. I’m not giving others advice, and I don’t think it’s my, or indeed anyone’s place to do so. I only stated my experience.

However, being married to a microbiologist, and having a son who is a medical professional in a nearby emergency room does have its advantages, one of which is knowing the science and also having first-hand knowledge of the on-the-ground experiences with this virus.

The thought that I *must* take the vaccine to prevent serious illness, at this point is ludicrous. I’ve survived all three major variants, with clear demonstration of ever decreasing severity. This is precisely what you would expect from accumulating immunity.

Further, my son reports that none of the ‘vid patients coming into his hospital are in any way seriously ill as a result of Covid infection (though they my be there for totally unrelated specific injuries or illnesses like chronic diabetes, heart disease, etc.) and that none have died from Covid complications in many months. I have absolutely no chronic disease, I am physically very active and I recently had a full annual physical and complete cardiac work up (which I do every year as a matter of course), and all tests are thankfully well better than a guy 66 years old should have.

I’ll be fine.

As for taking it to protect others, as was the original advertising… well, we see how well that’s worked out.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Kevin,

I'll start Respect your opinon and choices ( esp automotove ;) )

The old YMMV probably rings true for the above. The anecdotal evidnece you soght is different to ones i know re deaths from pure covid infection (not complications of other things) this may be related to geography and that in the states in the first year many of the vulnerable people ( as in people vulnerable to the virus not just pre existing or comorbditity) did succumb to the virus where in other locations with different mitigation they were spared infection and now its simply catching up to them.

I personally know very fit and healthy people in their 40s who got it this year and were badly impacted and had long covid ( they were vaccinated) and know some who are very unhealthy who were vacvinated and got it and were very mildly impacted... It certainly varries in impact person to person. I also have a friend who keeps having every coworker around him get it and he never test + or feels sick.... I want him to donate some blood to science!

I personally don't doubt that advantages of people being vaccinated in terms of protecting them and others.. The efficacy has dropped with new variants and sadly there has not been a silver bullet vaccine that either largely prevents infection/spread or symptoms... But im hoping.

Anyway.. Staf safe and well... And we can all keep enjoying our cars.. Or boats :cool:

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Pretty sure I had it before it became news in January 20. We had a company wide 3 day sales meeting at freightliner/Daimler headquarters in Portland and I felt awful. Suggested I stay home. Boss said ‘just sit by yourself and “ etc. went home Friday. Spent the weekend in bed and was fine Monday.
Year later gave one of our drivers a 10 minute ride and he came down with it bad. I got home quarantined and was asymptotic.

Fine since. No shots.