• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Valve clearance

bobbo

Gold Level Sponsor
Work shop manual gives valve clearance ( HOT ) at 14 thow exhaust and 12 thow intake.
Getting my 1725 ready to fire up after a mild rebuild. I have added 2 thow to those numbers as I have set the valves COLD. So 16 thow exhaust and 14 thow intake. Hoping this will be good enough for start up and initial run. Any issues you see ? or do we have a better valve setting for a cold engine?
Appreciated, Bob

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
With the stock Aluminum Alpine head and aluminum rocker shaft stands,

you will find the Valve clearance will INCREASE as it warms up.

Better to REDUCE the stock COLD clearance to .008 and .010.

DW

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
I usually find that if I set them to 14 and 12 when first rebuilding it will let the car start. Then when the engine is fully warmed up I do them again to 14 and 12.

Tim R

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
I had the clearances set on an ice cold engine this winter (30 or so degrees) at .014 on exhaust and .011 on intake. A while back I got the engine hot, hot as specified in the manual. They were very loose, as DW mentioned. Unfortunately, I didn't measure exactly what they were, but at least a couple of thou, if not more. You can definitely hear the difference in the valve train when they are set correctly compared to them being loose. Don't go big to start.

bobbo

Gold Level Sponsor
So I guess the aluminum head and stands expand more than the valve train. Understandable it is, yes.
Thanks for the input. DW, TR and MOD
Bob

Hodee

Donation Time
For shear simplicity sake, i have always set my valves when cold. 8 and 10 thousandths is a great start and I leave them that way. I never liked adjusting them warm/hot. Always a question of "how warm or how hot" not to mention the mess and chance of scalding myself.

RootesRooter

Donation Time
8 & 10? I hope your rocker tips are truly worn, throwing the gap measurement off, or you're asking for a burnt valve.

Hodee

Donation Time
Those are cold settings and warm up very well to within spec. Been running that way for 8,000 miles. No problems, runs well. I check lash once a year, every 1,000 miles. Leaded fuel, no ethanol.