• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

1959 Rapier steering box

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
I believe this site has a copy of the workshop manual 124. This manual covers the Rapier steering box in section J. The rapier seems essentially the same as the Alpine except for ratio and the adjustable reach top end.

Chrisp Rapier,

In case you are wondering about installing an Alpine steering box with the adjustable column, no matter how much you try, the column wont adjust short enough to match the Rapier wheel position. :eek::confused::rolleyes::(

Since the electric power steering kits came about, it MIGHT be possible to use the Alpine unit and adjust the upper and lower column sections to achieve the proper wheel position. I haven't heard of anyone actually trying and reporting.

Filister,

I'm reasonably sure the steering ratio is determined steering wheel to road wheel. That would include the steering arms which are different -Rapier to Alpine.

It's possible the theoretical ratio is only different due to those arms,then again,maybe not. Only comparing parts books would shed some light here.

The sII Rapier, if stock, should have some large front drum brakes. The steering arm at the wheel is different from the Alpine's arm. Even the early Alpine's style front spindle steering arm is different from the Rapier's arm.

Just some random thoughts,

Filister

Gold Level Sponsor
Husky drvr, I agree that all the points you made above about steering ratio are correct. But the wsm references two different steering box ratios for Alpine, Rapiers. It looks like it's related to year of manufacture tho, rather than alpine/rapier. It does stress not to interchange the two different worm gears.

Interesting, I have an adjustable Alpine steering box/column in my series 1 Rapier. I am very comfortable with it. It is adjusted to the short position if I recall. I do however have non stock seats so that may be the difference. I didn't put it in for the adjustability so much as it was just the best condition unit I had available. I was planning to put the stock seats back in so I better check that out first. At the time I installed the alpine column I had a Hillman convertible seat installed and was ok also. It now has ford fiesta buckets and they work well with the column.

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Interesting, I have an adjustable Alpine steering box/column in my series 1 Rapier. I am very comfortable with it. It is adjusted to the short position if I recall. I do however have non stock seats so that may be the difference. I didn't put it in for the adjustability so much as it was just the best condition unit I had available. I was planning to put the stock seats back in so I better check that out first. At the time I installed the alpine column I had a Hillman convertible seat installed and was ok also. It now has ford fiesta buckets and they work well with the column.

Filister,

When we changed the steering boxes, no measurements were taken. The collapsed position is close to the O/E position - maybe just a shade more rearward than the steering wheel thickness, IIRC. It's really just I always thought it was funny the feature served no real purpose once installed. With the O/E seat, I always wanted the wheel just a bit lower and forward.

HAGD,

Chrisp Rapier

Donation Time
I believe this site has a copy of the workshop manual 124. This manual covers the Rapier steering box in section J. The rapier seems essentially the same as the Alpine except for ratio and the adjustable reach top end.
really? I am excited to check it out!

Chrisp Rapier

Donation Time
Chrisp Rapier,

In case you are wondering about installing an Alpine steering box with the adjustable column, no matter how much you try, the column wont adjust short enough to match the Rapier wheel position. :eek::confused::rolleyes::(

Since the electric power steering kits came about, it MIGHT be possible to use the Alpine unit and adjust the upper and lower column sections to achieve the proper wheel position. I haven't heard of anyone actually trying and reporting.

Filister,

I'm reasonably sure the steering ratio is determined steering wheel to road wheel. That would include the steering arms which are different -Rapier to Alpine.

It's possible the theoretical ratio is only different due to those arms,then again,maybe not. Only comparing parts books would shed some light here.

The sII Rapier, if stock, should have some large front drum brakes. The steering arm at the wheel is different from the Alpine's arm. Even the early Alpine's style front spindle steering arm is different from the Rapier's arm.

Just some random thoughts,
Haha. Ah no on the Alpine steering box. I have a basket case car so, barely functional steering would be good.

Last edited:

Chrisp Rapier

Donation Time
So I am guilty of making assumptions. As I said, I had looked at the steering column inside at the upper bushing. I had stated it was cracked. I was afraid it would chip off inside at some point. I ordered a new old stock upper bushing. I received it today and I thought it was also cracked. On closer inspection it has a purposeful "cut" running horizontally. It is very odd but I guess it relieves pressure towards the bottom. So I was getting ready to work on the steering box by having a look at the shims and cleaning them all up. Previously I said there were some 5 shims in place. That was not correct. I have 10 shims that were on the box. Is this normal to have so many? I understand they are added till you gage the correct tolerance, but 10? I will start from zero and see what I have.

Attachments

• 20220629_123342.jpg
    20220629_123342.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 11

Chrisp Rapier

Donation Time
OK, well I have it all put together. I am not entirely sure what caused my initial problem with so much play. I think maybe I was exaggerating the amount of play. Definitely someone had messed with the steering box before me. I was missing two ball bearings. and others were out of the races. There were ten shims and only one paper gasket in place when I started. The shims were a bit corroded and a few of them had deformities in the face surfaces. My guess is that the shims were made thicker by the corrosion and deformities, plus I do not think the bolts were tightened down entirely. This all added up to the great amount of shaft play. The box was only half full of oil.

I put aside the bad shims and cleaned the good ones well. I made paper gaskets. I managed to get the bearings all put together properly with some sticky grease. I did the preload thing. My gaskets were thicker than the originals, so I only used two metal shims with those gaskets. My gaskets were each equal to maybe two metal shims maybe less after compression. It feels good.