• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Zip out rear window for our Alpines

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
A fellow member called me today and asked if I or anyone knew if there was a supplier of Alpine Soft tops that had a "zip-out" rear window.

After a discussion I decided to make a POST and pose the question for him.

Seems like a nice option to me, if there was such a thing.

I remember years ago some convertibles had a zipper that allowed for the rear window to be opened for a better air ventilation.

I even thought of a perhaps an even easier way than a zipper, how about Velcro ? Would it work?

Any one know of a shop that has done such a modification?

Questions ? Answers ? Suggestions ?

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Had a customer that had a three window top on his SV with a zip out rear window. It was done to an existing
"regular" top and not really well. The three window and zip out really looked weird on the car. I know series 1's
had the three window top, and they look good on that, but just doesn't look right on a later car.
I've never seen a zip out window top from Robbins or any other mfg of tops. The only option would be either
a custom top which could be very expensive or take a top to a shop that specializes in tops.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Dan, nobody has offered that as an off the shelf top.

I have seen several( well maybe 3 or 4) removable rear window tops on photos on the web. The o e vuy even had a glass window but it had to be VERY slim to fit in 1 fold ( so basically 1/3 of the rear vertical height of the top)

The 2 styles that caight my eye were 1 like am early miata ( mxt) where the window appeared to zip oit across the top and sides but staued attached at the bottom and basically went foward lile a flap so you could drive without the fear window in...the other zipped all the way around and removed but was a smaller than stock window iirc.

nsbluenose

Silver Level Sponsor
My Miata and Singer both have zip out rear windows. Across the top, down the sides and folds down across the bottom. Both are regular size windows. Both were regular stock tops for suppliers in California. I really like the option of driving with the side windows down and the rear window open.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Not to be a 'Debbie Downer' here, but I'm always a bit wary of zip-out rear windows. Some of you may remember the Mercury Turnpike Cruiser from the early 60's, which featured a rear window that could be rolled down. Some Continentals also had them... the style was known then as a "Breezeway". It was discontinued because it was found that excessive amounts of carbon monoxide would enter the vehicle with it open. It seems the area behind the roof is a low-pressure area, and the fumes are drawn up over the boot lid and into the vehicle, particularly when the front windows are open - they create more suction into the cabin.

The same is true on boats. I do a lot of boating and several folks have died riding on the back of boats whist under way, due to monoxide that curls back up into the boat from the transom exhaust exits. As a result, I never allow folks to ride on the back of my boats... they're up in the cockpit with me.

Monoxide is an insidious poison... you really don't know it's there until the damage is done. Just something to consider when creating a breezeway.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Really Mustangs, Falcons, got the zip out. Boats are a different animal. Just like true and apparent wind. I'd love to take a fresh Robbins top and have one put in.

alpine_64

Donation Time
What are the thoughts on Velcro in lieu of the "zipper" ?
A zipper you can set the tension between the 2 sides by installing it as a thought fit and it will be repeatable .. This will stop the top flapping at speed.. Especially as its between 2 flexible surfaces...it it was to a solid connection like a frame... Maybe.. But think of how crap the series V mkia/ ii velcro on the soft top sode rails is... Imagine thay between 2 flexible surfaces...

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
A fellow member called me today and asked if I or anyone knew if there was a supplier of Alpine Soft tops that had a "zip-out" rear window.

After a discussion I decided to make a POST and pose the question for him.

Seems like a nice option to me, if there was such a thing.

I remember years ago some convertibles had a zipper that allowed for the rear window to be opened for a better air ventilation.

I even thought of a perhaps an even easier way than a zipper, how about Velcro ? Would it work?

Any one know of a shop that has done such a modification?

Questions ? Answers ? Suggestions ?

I had a custom top with zip out window made for me by Ken Corbin. I think Ken has passed -other posters from Denver may know for sure. The top with zip out is very nice!

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
Any pictures of it? Close ups of the zipper would be great to see how it was done. Thanks.
No photos. Hardtop is in place and will remain so. New owners coming to pick up the car on May 8th.

nsbluenose

Silver Level Sponsor
Hope these pictures help. Hard to get good inside pictures of top as it is black and zipper on the sides is hidden under padding that runs along the sides to the top front to back. Outside the zipper is completely hidden. Tried to get close up of stitching. Pictures of window closed, partially open and fully open, from outside and inside.

Attachments

• 347AD9D3-4ED1-4184-B469-2B7F5C1932D1.jpeg
    347AD9D3-4ED1-4184-B469-2B7F5C1932D1.jpeg
    139.1 KB · Views: 34
  • C43CE6D4-809C-49EC-80F0-2659CC660973.jpeg
    C43CE6D4-809C-49EC-80F0-2659CC660973.jpeg
    133.9 KB · Views: 35
  • C21E9153-F66B-42C5-8372-6C2695D97572.jpeg
    C21E9153-F66B-42C5-8372-6C2695D97572.jpeg
    99 KB · Views: 34
  • 457A7C76-76A2-4555-B7D9-7BD36BF408FD.jpeg
    457A7C76-76A2-4555-B7D9-7BD36BF408FD.jpeg
    157.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 29818B95-A74E-44F4-9253-0104A7783FBF.jpeg
    29818B95-A74E-44F4-9253-0104A7783FBF.jpeg
    149.7 KB · Views: 33
  • 8D194E5D-3FC8-4E65-8C5C-0B90CF057BAC.jpeg
    8D194E5D-3FC8-4E65-8C5C-0B90CF057BAC.jpeg
    156.2 KB · Views: 33

nsbluenose

Silver Level Sponsor
Yes, sorry for the poor quality, inside the garage, black roof and a bad photographer all adds up to terrible pictures. I’ll try again with the car outside in a few days.

chauncie

Donation Time
Hope these pictures help. Hard to get good inside pictures of top as it is black and zipper on the sides is hidden under padding that runs along the sides to the top front to back. Outside the zipper is completely hidden. Tried to get close up of stitching. Pictures of window closed, partially open and fully open, from outside and inside.
Very interested. Can you give any additional info. Last summer wife got very sick due to heat captured in car and zip window should change. Have corvair conv with zip out and it is very comfortable.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
As for the noise level there's lots of things that could be smoothed. For one is the windshield surround the upright pieces have a forward facing gutter that makes a lot of noise.

The hard part about this fix of adding a rear window would be the probable necessity of removing the in place top or better yet building it into a new one to be installed. I would imagine if you put together a big enough order Robbins would or could do it . But You would have to be an installation company that already puts orders in with them to get one in the first place.