• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Where to refurbish a stock radio

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor
I have an original sunbeam radio that came with my series v does not work any suggestions where I can get it refurbished!

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
I agree with Jan. The caps in Gordon's radio likely discharged when Reagan was in the White House.

If Gordon hopes to restore his radio and keep it original — using the original circuit board and mechanics — that's going to be a tough problem to solve. But there are plenty of guys that'll install new internal components yet keep the original appearance. Based on what I've seen at car shows (Carlisle, Hershey) I suggest you figure $400-up, depending on what power output you want, MP3, USB ports, and whether you actually want it to actually pick up AM and/or FM radio stations.

That said, I have a working vintage Alpine (brand) radio/cassette/AM/FM I'd be willing to barter for the Bendix Sunbeam you have, Gordon. However, if you also have the original surround, there ain't no way it'll fit in those small openings. He chuckles.

Mark