• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Overdrive concerns

Green67Alpine

Former SAOCA Membership Director
Platinum Level Sponsor
On a recent trip the OD which was working as it should, then as we neared home it started to not engage when turned on rather it would engage well after turned on. It would disengage when turned off as it should and also disengage when taking it out of third or fourth, my problem is engaging when turned on. I thought low oil, it was full, the relay clicks as it should, so I'm thinking that the problem is with the solenoid.
Any thoughts? And what's next to correct this issue.
Thanks for the help, Tom j

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Could be the solenoid, but my experience suggests it's the relay. There are two contacts in the relay that get closed when the relay gets power and clicks. One of the contacts applies power to the relay coil to "latch" the relay ON. The other contact applies the power to the solenoid. A common problem I have seen is that the contact that applies power to the solenoid fails to make a good solid contact, so the solenoid does not get power. Sometime just a bump in the road will help make the contact or maybe breaks the contact. You can do a slight rewire and add a diode to solve the problem. That's what I did. I'll post the details soon

Tom

Green67Alpine

Former SAOCA Membership Director
Platinum Level Sponsor
Tom, Thank you for the information. I don't suppose you've got any of those upgrade kits left over? I'm not much of an automotive electrician, but that seems like it's pretty straight forward with good directions. Would you recommend replacing the original relay .
Thanks again for your help.
Tom j

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Tom,

I did this mod to my original relay which had been giving me problems. I have had no problems in 7 years and 9000 miles, so I suggest just doing that simple wiring change and adding the diode is the perfect solution. I'll send you a diode. Do you have a couple female spade lugs that you can solder to the diode? Do you understand how to orient the diode direction to match the diagram? Send me a pm with you address.

Tom