• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Overdrive Warning Light Ideas

bkasl

Bronze Level Sponsor
Not to take up space removing gauges and instruments, looking for ideas on where to mount a warning light to show when OD is engaged.
Photos appreciated
Email available if easier
Thanks

Pete S.

Bronze Level Sponsor
The original OD light, as shown in this Tiger dash is located at the point of the blue arrow. Not sure what type or color the lens should be. Tigers just had a chrome plug in place of the Alpine OD lamp. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Capture.png
    Capture.png
    666.6 KB · Views: 44

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
Don't have a picture but I put mine in the left hand corner of dash, just above the volt meter and offset from center a little to the right, and left of the tach
near the top. . it sits about 3/4 inch from each gauge and catches your eye when it comes on. It is LED and shows well at night.

AlsPine

Donation Time
This is the OD lens for a series 3.
Series 4 and 5 used the rectangle shaped OD lens that matched the other lenses of those series.
s-l140.jpg

Acollin

Platinum Level Sponsor
I do not have an OD sunbeam but I bought this light on line and installed it on my 1972 MGBGT

Attachments

• 1B35EB07-0A2A-47D6-A90B-E3DB1BE53F4C.png
    1B35EB07-0A2A-47D6-A90B-E3DB1BE53F4C.png
    574.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 1257135D-5419-46CC-AA21-471D4D1F1E04.png
    1257135D-5419-46CC-AA21-471D4D1F1E04.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 30

Acollin

Platinum Level Sponsor
Sorry wrong picture of installation. What you see in the posted pic above is an OD light from a volvo p1800. This is what I have in my B.

Attachments

• 49C9D4F8-E121-454A-AFD7-FCA6B9574295.png
    49C9D4F8-E121-454A-AFD7-FCA6B9574295.png
    734.3 KB · Views: 28

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor
The original OD light, as shown in this Tiger dash is located at the point of the blue arrow. Not sure what type or color the lens should be. Tigers just had a chrome plug in place of the Alpine OD lamp. Hope this helps.
Some cars had an opal colored lense I got an idea lamp light from a club member!

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
A warning light is a very useful addition as being able to just glance down and see that you are in overdrive is helpful.

Tim R

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
As Tim notes, it IS a handy indicator. But the typical / factory way it is wired it is connected to a junction on the Yellow/Green wire on the OD switch, which is connected to terminal W2 on the OD relay, which means the warning light is on whenever the relay is ON. BUT sometimes the relay is ON, but the relay contact to the solenoid is not made, so you have an OD indicator showing it's ON, but the solenoid is not powered so you are NOT really in OD. But if you wire the OD lamp directly to Terminal C1, it's a better indicator, showing that at least you have power connected to the wire that goes to the solenoid. A big help in troubleshooting OD issues.

Tom

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
This is how we wire the overdrive and light up (not my diagram but I have followed it for years).

Tim R

Screenshot 2022-06-12 at 13.56.57.png

67brg

Silver Level Sponsor
Not to take up space removing gauges and instruments, looking for ideas on where to mount a warning light to show when OD is engaged.
Photos appreciated
Email available if easier
Thanks
put it in the hole for the ignition light. you don't need the red lamp and you won't have to do any modifications to the dash.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Tim, that is indeed the way the factory wired the OD. But I suggest that it's better to connect the yellow/green wire from the indicator to terminal C1 on the relay, along with the yellow/purple wire. This way it provides more useful information on the operation of the OD circuit. A common problem with the "special relay" used on this OD circuit is that the relay can close one of it contacts, the one that maintains power to latch the relay ON, but the other contact that provides power to the solenoid remains open. This results in the relay being energized and latched ON, but the solenoid not getting power, so the OD is NOT engaged. If wired as per the factory, the OD lamp will be lit, even though the solenoid is not energized. Wired my way the light will not light unless power is being applied to the wire leading to the solenoid.

Tom

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
Tom, I don't disagree and am going to look at wiring ours as you describe. I just posted the diagram as I thought it might help.

Tim R

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor
I have seen of warning my lights in a kind of opal color, red and green. Some cars I suspect were retro fitted by owners with different color lamps!

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
I went with amber / yellow with the same rectangular size and shape as the rest of my SV warning lights. It is easily picked up by my peripheral vision and won't be confused by high beam, turn signal, etc. Whatever color you like!

Mike

upload_2022-6-13_21-49-50.png