• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Clock Failure

twautomotive

Silver Level Sponsor
It seems like the "points" on our Smiths clocks are a common cause for failure. It seems like the problem was known early. Here are two Jaguar service bulletins from 1966. Does anyone have similarClocks 07 Service Bulletin P.44-1165.jpg Clocks 08 Service Bulletin P.50-0966.jpg Rootes service bulletins?

junkman

Gold Level Sponsor
Every time I reset my clock, I tap the face to jump start it. Has always worked as long as it get a little tap.

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
Smiths included the start-up procedure in instructions included with the clock. But long-term issues with the CE-series clock were due to a faulty design.

The clock movements are actually sturdy and can easily last a lifetime, but the clock utilizes an electric coil pulse magnet and a contact pedestal attached to the balance wheel to keep it running. Each time the balance wheel sweeps pass the contact to the coil it creates a tiny charge to keep it moving. Once it reaches the full tension of the return spring, the spring pushes the other way and the process continues (tick-tock-tick-tock). These are electric analog clocks with 4 sweeps/second. So, the coil and balance wheel make 345600 contacts PER DAY. Multiply that by 365 and you get over 126 MILLION contacts in just one year.

It doesn't take long for all those pulses to wear on the contacts and, eventually, the clock stops working due to lack of power. Billions of current micro-arcs create a pit in the balance wheel. Little wonder they never work.

Mark ..... volvoguys

Last edited: