• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

suspension rebuild 2

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
Finished - new bushings, ball joints and shocks. I have not tightened the fulcrum pin nuts. The A arms moved freely up and down before final assembly. The car sits noticeably higher now than before the rebuild. Thoughts? Thanks

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Moved the car? I have noticed the Alpine settles an inch or two after the wheels have been off the floor. Due to the suspension geometry, the wheels have to move out to allow the car to reach it's final ride height. The wheels have to roll in order for that to happen.
Bill

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
Moved the car? I have noticed the Alpine settles an inch or two after the wheels have been off the floor. Due to the suspension geometry, the wheels have to move out to allow the car to reach it's final ride height. The wheels have to roll in order for that to happen.
Bill
I did take the car for a short ride..no noticeable reduction in height yet 2 miles on a country road - gravel and bumpy

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Well, what you have now is what it is going to be. Did you go from no spring cushions to cushions top and bottom? Maybe rotten cushions were replaced?
Bill

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
Well, what you have now is what it is going to be. Did you go from no spring cushions to cushions top and bottom? Maybe rotten cushions were replaced?
Bill
I reused the cushions - top only... car has settled in and is good to go. Took a quick (70mph) drive of about 9 miles earlier today. I am pleased with the suspension, the firmer ride, and steering feel. The original bushings were very badly worn and the "feel" very sloppy. The difference between then and now is significant. I am happy with the results. New suspension, new wheels, new tires...all I need now is a trip somewhere...

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
You could come to eastern Iowa and supervise my wiring harness install, If I had my car back that is. Glad to hear your suspension upgrade has worked out as you hoped.

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
Probably a silly question but did you load the car up fully before you tightened the fulcrum pin nuts? If you tighten them with the car insufficiently loaded it will tend to sit higher and the bushes will be starting to deflect as soon as you get in the car instead of when the suspension is actually working.
Tim R

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
Probably a silly question but did you load the car up fully before you tightened the fulcrum pin nuts? If you tighten them with the car insufficiently loaded it will tend to sit higher and the bushes will be starting to deflect as soon as you get in the car instead of when the suspension is actually working.
Tim R
thanks for the concern...the pin nuts were not tight when I removed the jack stands and the car was back on the wheels. It settled down about 3/4" overnight. After a couple of short trips on bumpy roads it settled another 1/4" or so. Thanks.

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
this was the original driver's side upper A arm. I do not know how or when it broke. 0AF96FAF-26A1-486F-A206-C0866977A017.jpeg 520EA198-E17B-433E-955C-5990150F646B.jpeg I was able to get a used one in excellent condition from Tom Wiencek.

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
Morning Paul. From the picture, it appears to me as an old crack. What do you think?
It could be a very old crack... It is cracked all the way through - broken. I have owned Ol Blue for more than 40 years and have had no accidents or incidents in that time. I did find, though, when disassembling the suspension, previous work had been done on it. The previous owner did some racing with it, as I recall. Maybe he had an incident.

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
Visit both ole and
"new" friends..... provide some excellent advice and supervision to their wiring of an Alpine:)
We are planning a trip to Maryland in October... who knows, maybe a trip south from there....