• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Replacing Rubber Buttons in Trunk Buffer Brackets

tylerite3124

Platinum Level Sponsor
Does anyone have the secret to replacing the small rubber buttons that go into the trunk buffer brackets? Pictures below of the parts involved. I have tried everything including soaping the parts to no avail. I know it can be done. I'm just not coming up with the correct procedure. Help!

Rick

IMG_9669.JPG

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Not done this particular job, but I've done similar. Here's what I'd try... Lube the bit that goes into the hole with a light coat of silicone grease. Wrap some dental floss into the groove below the bit that goes into the hole. Thread the floss through the hole (in the direction needed). Put the bracket into a vise to hold it, then while pushing the button into the hole, pull on the floss to bring the nub through the hole. If needed, assist with a small screwdriver to prise the edges through the hole.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Heating up rubber pieces usually makes them more flexible. Maybe try running fully hot water over the rubber.

Mike