• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Won't Idle Properly

beamdream

Gold Level Sponsor
Plugs are black

Well that ain't right; off the cuff there's a mixture problem.

I would start with screwing in the idle mixture all the way, then back out 1 1/2 turns, then adjust the mixture screw in or out 1/2 turn at a time to see if you can get a satisfactory idle. Starting with clean plugs is a good idea, that way you can monitor by colour of plugs if it's going pear shaped.

And I'm assuming you haven't been fiddling with anything else ?

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
John - sounds like you have checked all the usual stuff. Started all of a sudden - possible some contamination in the fuel got to the carb?

Scotty - modern cars have a computer that adjusts to pretty much whatever octane fuel you put in it. Old cars with carburetors like our Alpines do not. If you put low octane fuel in it (89), you can/will get detonation (pre-ignition) and it can/will damage your engine. You should only be using 93 octane (premium).

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
We run our Alpines on 99 octane or 97 if we can't get it (and avoid ethanol at all costs). Low octane fuel is asking for trouble so avoid if you can. The AI carb usually works perfectly straight out of the box and makes an Alpine fly!

Tim R

johnd

Donation Time
John - sounds like you have checked all the usual stuff. Started all of a sudden - possible some contamination in the fuel got to the carb?

Scotty - modern cars have a computer that adjusts to pretty much whatever octane fuel you put in it. Old cars with carburetors like our Alpines do not. If you put low octane fuel in it (89), you can/will get detonation (pre-ignition) and it can/will damage your engine. You should only be using 93 octane (premium).
I use Shell premium and add an off-road octane booster.

Shannon Boal

Platinum Level Sponsor
A bad condensor will give symptoms just like fuel trouble. I have seen it twice. First time was a 66 Mustang 6 cyl, which we tuned up with new points and condensor.... It had a crummy idle, and stumbled. We went through everything (!) from the fuel tank to the tailpipe.....then installed a new condensor. Voila, no stumble, smooth idle. Why not, re-index the distributor to correct it being off a notch, which it needs anyway. Maybe you can substitute your other unit for a test. You may learn nothing at all, but you will be pretty good at servicing the distributor.....

johnd

Donation Time
Yes - I disconnected the choke rod from the choke plate so when the choke handle is pulled out only the fast idle cam is advanced. Starts right up, idles great
with the choke out for a couple minutes until it warms and then, when the choke handle is pushed in, the car idles and runs great. Thanks f0r asking.