• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Series V Brake Bleeding

JR66

Gold Level Sponsor
I'm in the midst of total brake rebuild including new lines on my Series V. Was surprised that the factory did not put a bleed screw on right rear wheel cylinder. I think they had it on earlier series cars. I'm thinking of adding a tee near the differential and putting a line to each cylinder plus a bleeder screw on each cylinder. Has anyone done this and do you think it's worth doing? I want to bleed as much air out as possible and have never seen a setup with only one bleed screw at the back. Also if I do this I don't know if the bleed screw will seal okay on the cylinder that currently has just two tubing fittings.

Bill Eisinger

Platinum Level Sponsor
I think the single bleed screw was common across all series. I did exactly what you suggested…added a tee and ran separate lines to each wheel on my SI V6 conversion project.

Attachments

• BF8DFC5B-396B-4360-AACC-C96B81D18A2F.jpeg
    BF8DFC5B-396B-4360-AACC-C96B81D18A2F.jpeg
    314 KB · Views: 67

JR66

Gold Level Sponsor
Thanks for your comment and photo! But I'm blown away by the fantastic appearance of your Sunbeam's undercarriage. Mine looks like what you would expect on a 56 year old car that was driven only in Massachusetts during all 12 months of the year and hasn't been touched since. You can probably imagine.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
I'm not sure what perceived issue you are trying to address. There is no issue with removing air from the stock setup.

The bleeder screw and hydraulic line connectors are the same size + TPIs, so you can use either one in the holes. People sometimes put the bleeder screw in the wrong port, which will cause issues when bleeding.

Mike

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Besides what Mike said about the bleeder screw in the wrong port, I've never had any issue bleeding the rear brakes
on my SV. The clutch, now that's a different story!

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
I switched to speed bleeders for both the brakes and clutch. I like them. It makes bleeding a one person job. My family members can't be bothered to sit in the car seat and press the pedal for 5 to 10 mins. :) The speed bleeders prevent air from entering during the retraction stroke.

Mike

JR66

Gold Level Sponsor
Thanks, I had never heard of speed bleeders but it seems like a good idea. Glad to hear they work.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
A lesson learned. When I installed a speed bleeder in the clutch slave, there was a decent amount of air in the line. Depressing the clutch pedal did not generate enough pressure to overcome the spring in the one-way valve in the bleeder. I had to attach a vacuum pump to the bleeder and pull some fluid through the line. After that, I was able to press the pedal and generate enough pressure to open the one-way valve in the bleeder and purge fluid + trapped air.

Mike

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor
I switched to speed bleeders for both the brakes and clutch. I like them. It makes bleeding a one person job. My family members can't be bothered to sit in the car seat and press the pedal for 5 to 10 mins. :) The speed bleeders prevent air from entering during the retraction stroke.

Mike
I know Russell makes some do you have a part number for the speed blenders?

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
There are many options out there. I used the Speed Bleeder stainless steel versions:
Brakes: Speed Bleeder SB3824-SS
Clutch: Speed Bleeder SB71620-SS

Mike