• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Favorite solvent

studmobile

Diamond Level Sponsor
Trying to clean up my gummy/poorly operating door latching mechanism. looks like 60 years of congealed grease in there. Soaked them in Pine Sol, somewhat better, but hard to get between the riveted steel plates to clean. What other options might work? Simple Green, gasoline, kerosene, brake cleaner? Thanks

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
I always start off with the mildest solvent and work my way up. This often prevents damaging delicate things like plastics and paint, and I always test using a cotton swab with the solvent to test on a less visible section of the part to ensure no damage will occur.

Here's my typical order of attack:
  1. Soap and water (usually Simple Green)
  2. Denatured alcohol (alcohol stove fuel)
  3. Stoddard solvent (parts washing fluid)
  4. Paint thinner (turpentine)
  5. Lacquer thinner
  6. Acetone (added to list because Jerry reminded me! I also use this quite often.)
  7. Methyl-ethyl-ketone (MEK)
I used to also include trichloroethane (methyl chloroform), in between alcohol and stoddard solvent, but you can't get it anymore. I still have one bottle, but I use it very, very rarely.

For your situation I'd use stoddard solvent... it won't harm the rubber or plastic bits, if any, and will thoroughly dissolve the grease. This is the brand I use in my parts washer:

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/crown-psc-1000-parts-cleaner-5-gal

Last edited:

Pete S.

Bronze Level Sponsor
I always start off with the mildest solvent and work my way up. This often prevents damaging delicate things like plastics and paint, and I always test using a cotton swab with the solvent to test on a less visible section of the part to ensure no damage will occur.

Here's my typical order of attack:
  1. Soap and water (usually Simple Green)
  2. Denatured alcohol (alcohol stove fuel)
  3. Stoddard solvent (parts washing fluid)
  4. Paint thinner (turpentine)
  5. Lacquer thinner
  6. Methyl-ethyl-ketone (MEK)
I used to also include trichloroethane (methyl chloroform), in between alcohol and stoddard solvent, but you can't get it anymore. I still have one bottle, but I use it very, very rarely.

For your situation I'd use stoddard solvent... it won't harm the rubber or plastic bits, if any, and will thoroughly dissolve the grease. This is the brand I use in my parts washer:

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/crown-psc-1000-parts-cleaner-5-gal

Good information - Thanks!

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
I'll try rubbing alcohol on greasy / oily stuff.

Mike
Alcohol works well on any resin-based product... so, for example, pine tar, wet epoxy or polyester resin, or other similar resins can be easily dissolved with alcohol.

loose_electron

Donation Time
FWIW, Simple Green, Sudsy Ammonia, Acetone are my 3 go-to's for boat cleaning stuff.

Barkeepers Friend (oxalyic acid) is good for metals that are lightly oxidized or stained.

If you are gluing things together, cleaning with acetone, let dry, right before gluing helps with adhesion a lot.