• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Series V Suspension Rebuild

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
Ol Blue is in my shop, up on jack stands. The passenger side is now disassembled after a few minor struggles with nuts and bolts that have not been turned since the car was assembled in March, 1967. After scraping, cleaning and painting I wll take the A arms to a local shop to have the new bushings installed. I hope to have the passenger side reassembled by the weekend. Many thanks to Curt from Classic Sunbeam for prompt delivery of new bushings and new ball joints.

Having never done anything beyond packing wheel bearings this suspension renewal is a whole new world!

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
If you get a chance, snap a few pictures as you go. I have this work in my future also. If I ever get my car back.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Paul, wise decision. I redid my suspension about fifteen years ago. When completed, I think I posted "It was a hell of a fight Ma, but I won." The job was a continuous, exhausting tussle and I doubt that I could do it today.

Bill

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
Rebuild will not continue until the upper rubber bumpstops arrive. The new metalastic bushings are in place for both A arms on the passenger side and the new upper ball joint is installed. I want to get the passenger side finished before I tear down the driver's side. Photo shows the section broken out of driver's side upper A arm. Another photo shows the condition of the original 45 yr old bushings. 339BD086-B010-4DD5-A733-27A6EE869E89.jpeg69446F6F-FD2C-4858-B4B9-516584A42393.jpeg

mikephillips

Donation Time
The ring on the upper A arm that retains the ball joint should be checked. They only originally had 2 or 3 tack welds to hold them in place so can sometimes come loose from the arm. I've put some short lines of weld to reinforce them on the back and sides just to be sure they're solid. I know Doug Jennings would do the same.

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
Passenger side rebuild is finished.... new bushings, new swivel bearings, new gas filled shock absorber. I followed Tom Haydn's suggestion and used a 3/8ths inch threaded rod connected to the shock mount as a spring compressor. Works well! Reassembly was much quicker than disassembly, mostly thanks to well lubricated nuts and bolts.

I will begin the driver's side disassembly on Tuesday.