• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Serial number plate.

jmahall

Silver Level Sponsor
All mine were gone and want to replace. I have the left side one (vin, color etc) but need to know what the right side number is supposed to represent.
Looks to be either an oval or a strip with some numbers stamped in. Is this the "body number"? Is there any relationship to the vin?

Thanks

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
Body number plates (Series I/II) were oval 3" steel and affixed early on to keep track of the shell during production. The VINs were attached later on to correspond to the serial number stamped on the engine. And, just like the JAL/SAL tags attached to Series 3-V and Tiger, there is no documented correlation to the VIN. Now, I've spoken to a number of guys who have done studies of the (Tiger) Jensen ledgers hoping to establish correlation. In some instances, there were ranges of JAL tag numbers used within a range of VINs, but no set pattern.

I have a couple of original number plates pulled from Series IIs. If interested, PM me.

Regards, Mark ..... volvoguys

DSCN1196.JPG