• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Hood latch

jmahall

Silver Level Sponsor
I'm so close to finishing the project that I'm down to aligning the hood latch.
Being a bit afraid of just pushing it in and discovering it won't release, I need some advice.

In the pictures the assembly in the cowl is inclined, but the post on the hood is perpendicular to the bottom of the hood. It must of come off that way but is it correct. Seem the post will be going in at a angle instead of straight away.

Thanks

Attachments

• hood latch 1.jpg
    hood latch 1.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 46
  • hood latch 2.jpg
    hood latch 2.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 46

alpine_64

Donation Time
Ads a storng fishing line to the latch that allows you to pull the hook catch back further just incase

jmahall

Silver Level Sponsor
I see where the angle might help in releasing safety latch, but won't it interfere with the main latch?

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
I put red grease on the hood pin and lightly touch the latch without pushing down, open the hood and look at the grease mark on the latch to make sure it is centered. I also use stainless steel split pin on the hood release.

Acollin

Donation Time
I added the wire as a precaution and never have used it— knocking on wood as I type. Tested fine.

Attachments

• 2C4B3B55-41F0-42B1-907F-DE08D72FD89D.jpeg
    2C4B3B55-41F0-42B1-907F-DE08D72FD89D.jpeg
    297.2 KB · Views: 32

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
Whatever you do it is a good idea to add a safety wire or two. If the bonnet/hood gets stuck down it can be a real pain getting it open again.
Tim R

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
With a cable type pull, a back up is a good idea. With a solid rod type, a failure that would benefit from a back-up cable is hard to imagine.