• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Drain Plug Threads

fastfrontier17

Donation Time
Can someone tell me what the correct threads are? I ordered a replacement drain plug from sunbeam specialities, and it appears different and doesn't thread in to either the oil or transmission drains. Both the oil and trans plugs work in either whole. The SS packaging said series I - V....

From left to right in photos attached, brass oil drain plug, trans plug, SS drain plug

Attachments

• PXL_20220423_171228056.jpg
    PXL_20220423_171228056.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 70
  • PXL_20220423_171315812.jpg
    PXL_20220423_171315812.jpg
    342 KB · Views: 67
  • PXL_20220423_171349036.jpg
    PXL_20220423_171349036.jpg
    417.4 KB · Views: 67

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
On my Series V, the sump drain and OD gearbox drain are 1/2" BSP. They have hex heads. I think some of the earlier series had an Allen head on the oil sump drain plug?

Mike

fastfrontier17

Donation Time

yep, this 1" hex head from SS is supposed to fit I-V alpines, but it ain't fitting sump or trans threads...no clue. Ordered a random 1/2" bspp plug on Zoro to see if it fits. It's unfortunate that Rick @ SS takes a day or two to get back to emails. Maybe if he wasn't manually requiring and doing invoices he'd have more time lol

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
I went with a magnetic drain plug for the oil sump from Dimple Drain Plug Magnets (https://drainplugmagnets.com). It came with a Dowty washer (instead of using a copper crush washer) and I don't have leaks at the plug anymore.

Per SAOCA forum member Jeff Keyzer: The 1/2″ BSP plug is not available on their website, so you’ll have to send an email to info@drainplugmagnets.com to place an order. Ask for a 1/2″ BSP plug (part number SPL 1/2″ BSPP).

Mike

fastfrontier17

Donation Time
I went with a magnetic drain plug for the oil sump from Dimple Drain Plug Magnets (https://drainplugmagnets.com). It came with a Dowty washer (instead of using a copper crush washer) and I don't have leaks at the plug anymore.

Per SAOCA forum member Jeff Keyzer: The 1/2″ BSP plug is not available on their website, so you’ll have to send an email to info@drainplugmagnets.com to place an order. Ask for a 1/2″ BSP plug (part number SPL 1/2″ BSPP).

Mike
I tried emailing, and got this.

Address not found
Your message wasn't delivered to info@drainplugmagnets.com because the address couldn't be found, or is unable to receive mail

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
The company has changed names. It's now known as Dimple Motor Oil Magnets. See here:

http://www.milestone-motorsports.ca/dimple-magnetic-drain-plugs.html

Here's their brochure. It lists a phone number to call, or you can email them at milestonemotorsports@gmail.com

dimple_brochure.jpg

Shannon Boal

Platinum Level Sponsor
If it was me, I would probably dress the last couple of threads with a triangular file. It looks pretty good, thread pitch looks very close, so only thread diameter remains....
Can someone tell me what the correct threads are? I ordered a replacement drain plug from sunbeam specialities, and it appears different and doesn't thread in to either the oil or transmission drains. Both the oil and trans plugs work in either whole. The SS packaging said series I - V....

From left to right in photos attached, brass oil drain plug, trans plug, SS drain plug

fastfrontier17

Donation Time
If it was me, I would probably dress the last couple of threads with a triangular file. It looks pretty good, thread pitch looks very close, so only thread diameter remains....

I think the file may cost more than the replacement bolt I just bought. Lol. Hopefully the new bolt fits, and if it does then I have no way of really knowing why the SS one didn't fit.

fastfrontier17

Donation Time
The company has changed names. It's now known as Dimple Motor Oil Magnets. See here:

http://www.milestone-motorsports.ca/dimple-magnetic-drain-plugs.html

Here's their brochure. It lists a phone number to call, or you can email them at milestonemotorsports@gmail.com

dimple_brochure.jpg
They seem legit, but no response from them yet and there's no way to buy anything without calling them it appears. Need to get a new plug in by the weekend, so doubt they'll have something to me from Canada before then...

Durhamguy

Platinum Level Sponsor
I have the same issue as FastFrontier. Last year I bought a couple of oil drain plugs from Speedy Spares (who said they will fit), won't fit oil drain but they fit transmission drain. BSP and BSPP threads are not the same. BSP is a tapered thread. BSPP is a parallel thread. See link for explanation. Today's a good day, I learned something.

I will call Dimple next week as they are only a few miles from me and see what thread they use.

BSPP vs BSP vs G vs PF thread difference - Knowledge - Yuyao Jiayuan Hydraulic Fitting Factory (jiayuanfitting.com)

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
From the Parts manual:
upload_2022-10-16_12-30-48.png

Gearboxes and Series V oil sump use the same drain plug part # 9801043. Only the earlier series oil sump has a different part number, which makes sense given it has an Allen head instead of a hex head. However, the earlier drain plug is also advertised as 1/2" B.S.P. in the Parts manual.

I have the 1/2" BSP plug from Dimple in my series V oil sump. So if the Speedy Spares drain plug isn't fitting in your oil sump but is fitting in your gearbox, I wouldn't expect the Dimple plug to fit your oil sump either.

Mike

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
I have the same issue as FastFrontier. Last year I bought a couple of oil drain plugs from Speedy Spares (who said they will fit), won't fit oil drain but they fit transmission drain. BSP and BSPP threads are not the same. BSP is a tapered thread. BSPP is a parallel thread. See link for explanation. Today's a good day, I learned something.

David,

Pegasus Racing has this article about BSx nomenclature. https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/

Knowing the Parts List identifies the plugs as BSP and I've never seen a tapered plug in a sump or transmission, I'd think the Pegasus Racing info to be more reliable. Any confusion probably stems from a long term general usage of the generic BSP instead of the more descriptive BSPP for the more common straight threads.

BSP ~ BSPP = (parallel)

BSPT = tapered

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/document.asp?DocID=TECH00098

Hope this helps,

BSP Fittings: Identification and Logic

Identification and Logic

Ordering and using BSP fittings can be confusing because the nominal sizes have no relation to thread size. They are also much less common (outside the UK) than other threads, so many people are unfamiliar with them. Fortunately, BSP sizes are easy to identify.

Background
BSP stands for British Standard Pipe. It is sometimes called BSPP (Parallel) to differentiate it from the even less common BSPT (Tapered thread). Like most other plumbing fittings, BSP threads are straight or parallel, not tapered. The outside diameter of the male thread is the same from the base to the tip.

BSP fitting sizes refer to the nominal ID of a standard pipe. This is where the confusion comes in. Most plumbing fittings are named for the thread size, but BSP sizes are not. A BSP fitting with a 3/8" OD thread is actually a 1/8 BSP size, not 3/8 BSP. Use the chart below to identify BSP fitting sizes.

Sealing
BSP fittings may seal at a concave flare at the end of the male fitting, or at the port face. Female fittings which seal at the flare must be a 2-piece design with a swivelling nut. This allows you to tighten the nut without damaging the flare. One-piece female fittings (without a swivelling nut) must use a sealing washer at the base of the male fitting. Male fittings without a concave flare also require a sealing washer. In any case, BSP fittings are designed to be used dry, with no thread sealant.

A specialized sealing washer known as a Dowty Seal (Pegasus Part No. 3240-Size) has been designed specifically for sealing BSP fittings. These washers are made of steel with a rubber insert bonded to the inside. They are thicker than Stat-O-Seals, and they are sized to match BSP thread sizes. Note that some female BSP ports are chamfered to accept a plain rubber O-ring instead of a Dowty seal. Dowty seals should only be used on ports without a chamfer, while O-rings should only be used on chamfered ports.

BSP Size Identification
Male Thread OD
....... Threads per Inch .......BSP Size
0.38".................................. 28 ...........................1/8 BSP
0.51"................................... 19................................... 1/4 BSP
0.66"................................... 19.................................. 3/8 BSP
0.81"................................... 14 ............................1/2 BSP
0.90".................................. 14 ...................................5/8 BSP
1.04"................................... 14 .............................3/4 BSP

Last edited: