• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Harmonic Balancer / pully nut

bobbo

Gold Level Sponsor
Will be installing the Harmonic balancer back to the engine, but need to know the best way to get the tapered nut tight. what size socket should I use? Have been tapping a 1-1/4 socket on snug, but it just not quite the right fit. I was able to remove the nut with the 1-1/4 socket, but I don't think it's the right tool to assemble.
Thanks Bob

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
Will be installing the Harmonic balancer back to the engine, but need to know the best way to get the tapered nut tight. what size socket should I use? Have been tapping a 1-1/4 socket on snug, but it just not quite the right fit. I was able to remove the nut with the 1-1/4 socket, but I don't think it's the right tool to assemble.
Thanks Bob
Balancer (crank) bolts are 1 5/16".

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
From one of my previous posts:

The pipe-style starting nuts can be torqued with a 1-5/16" deep socket... PROTO Tools makes the proper item:

PROTO 1-5⁄16" size … 29 / 32" deep … 3/4" drive … Proto #5542

It can be found from many suppliers… here’s one:

https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-Proto-J5542-4-Inch-16-Inch/dp/B00018AJSY

I'm almost certain nobody else makes a socket with the sufficient depth... I did a *lot* of research to find this Proto item, and I've actually used it for the job, so it's a sure thing.

Last edited:

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Again (how many times I mentioned this) throw that hand crank pulley bolt away and get serious with using a grade 8, 1" length 3/4" dia. bolt, and tighten it to 100lb-ft. Then the harmonic pulley is tight on the crankshaft.
Jan

mxp01

Platinum Level Sponsor
Again (how many times I mentioned this) throw that hand crank pulley bolt away and get serious with using a grade 8, 1" length 3/4" dia. bolt, and tighten it to 100lb-ft. Then the harmonic pulley is tight on the crankshaft.
Jan

I did just that after losing the original bolt and crank pully while driving. Much better replacing the bolt then losing the pully and replacing it with another $200+ pully.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Jan
Hmm. I’m curious, Jan… have you seen actual failures of the starting nut resulting in damage or loss of the harmonic balancer? I had a starting nut on my car from new and it was a real bugger to get off. I reinstalled it when I rebuilt my engine (after balancing it along with the crank, etc.) and it seems to be holding fine.

RootesRooter

Donation Time
Examples of the crank nut loosening are numerous. Whether the nut loosens first or the balancer develops a crack in the keyway first I don't know. Regardless, the nut can completely back off, allowing the balancer to exit as well. If you're lucky, the balancer won't bugger up the end of the crankshaft as it departs.

After my balancer cracked a couple of decades ago, I put an SS balancer on, with the crank nut and tightened the heck out of it. No problems since.

Just a note on the nut size. The reason a 1-1/4 socket is too tight and a 1-5/16's is a little loose is that its a Whitworth size.

Last edited:

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Hmm. I’m curious, Jan… have you seen actual failures of the starting nut resulting in damage or loss of the harmonic balancer?
Oh absolutely, I find the key way cracked (and sometimes damage to the crank key & grove). Some of the engines I rebuild (probably most of them) do NOT have the hand-crank-pulley-bolt tight enough. It needs the proper 8-grade bolt to tighten to 100 lb-ft....Why? That pulley, that people call the "harmonic balancer", isn't a correct name for it, what it does is a torsional absorber, or torsional damper. Those names aren't quit right either, but it does "dampen" the torsional vibrations in the crankshaft to some extent. It needs a firm grip on the crankshaft.
Jan

bobbo

Gold Level Sponsor
Seem to have a little damage on one of the threads on my bolt. So I'll take Jan's advice and go for a gr. 8 bolt 1 inch. Just a question on the thread of that.
If the original is Whitworth, do they have a different thread?

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
Jan - how do you keep the engine from turning when you are putting 100 lb-ft of torque on that bolt?

AlsPine

Donation Time
Put the transmission in 1st gear, apply the emergency brake, block the rear wheels. if it still moves the car, have someone press on the brake pedal.
Otherwise, you can take the dust cover off of the bell housing and block the flywheel teeth to prevent the engine turning while you torque the bolt.

RootesRooter

Donation Time
Seem to have a little damage on one of the threads on my bolt. So I'll take Jan's advice and go for a gr. 8 bolt 1 inch. Just a question on the thread of that.
If the original is Whitworth, do they have a different thread?

The nut size is Whitworth. Don't know about the thread.

bobbo

Gold Level Sponsor
If the nut size is Whitworth, one could only imagine the thread is also Whitworth. Checking with Mr. Google, Whitworth threads are cut at 55 degrees and radiused top and bottom.
Different than what is standard today.
Maybe just clean up the one damaged thread and put it back, especially now I have the 1-5/16 socket.

Gumby

Donation Time
Back in the 70's when I owned my first 65 Series IV (early), that crazy Hand Crack starter nut on the front of the crankshaft used to come loose routinely. When Loose and floppy a bit, it would "ring" and was audible when driving the car. Come to a stop at a light, and it would rattle and ring and I could hear it. The Pulley/Dampener itself never came loose but that nut would.

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
Two questions that I hope aren't too dumb:
I have not seen otherwise but is the thread right hand? (Right to tighten) Just checking...
Is it acceptable to remove the nut with an air wrench? (Not tighten, just remove)