• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

S2-S3 Alpine wanted.

gbove

Donation Time
Looking for a driver, not a concourse vehicle. I'm considering everything right now - restored or not - but not a rust bucket. Cell: 207 590 8949. email: gbove@bovelabs.com
Thanks in advance!
Geoff

gbove

Donation Time
I've gotten two responses, and am looking at (bidding on) one on BAT --- any and all comments about that vehicle are VERY welcome, to my email is best. Thanks again,
Geoff

gbove

Donation Time
If you're referring to the Oregon Series II on BAT, this has obviously been a pampered Alpine.
This is an important opinion, thanks. I am concerned about what looks like very heavily built up undercoating, especially in the back. Being from Maine, rust is always on the mind if a car is more than 2 or 3 years old!

The interior would look great in black. Bummer that the restorer used "Sun Beam!"

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
I have no idea just how familiar you are with Alpines, but, tho they look very similar, there are important differences between the Series II and Series 3 worth considering. Many consider the S3 more comfortable and refined than the SII, such as the much larger boot, microcell seats and much-improved top frame.

Since there's still 5 days to go with the BaT sale, you may do well with a little research and maybe get a few opinions before your next bid.

BTW, thank you for making a contribution to SAOCA.

Mark ..... volvoguys (PA)

gbove

Donation Time
I have no idea just how familiar you are with Alpines, but, tho they look very similar, there are important differences between the Series II and Series 3 worth considering. Many consider the S3 more comfortable and refined than the SII, such as the much larger boot, microcell seats and much-improved top frame.

Since there's still 5 days to go with the BaT sale, you may do well with a little research and maybe get a few opinions before your next bid.

Thank you Mark. The small donation has been already been more than worth it! I've never driven an Alpine! Working on that too. I've pared down every other vehicle, and if it's not a Series 2 or 3 Alpine - might not be anything. I'll predict that the BaT vehicle for auction right now will go for $20-21K, which is more than I would spend on it.

alpine_64

Donation Time

Dont forget the revised rear suspension which did a lot for ride and handling

Mikeflbmer

Bronze Level Sponsor
Dont forget the revised rear suspension which did a lot for ride and handling
I just did that to my series 2 project....I think a great improvement to the lever shco
DSCF6687.JPG
oks........

gbove

Donation Time
I'm still looking of course and learning a LOT. I'm going to North Carolina where a generous member is showing me his three (one of which is for sale) and then a friend there has seen one under a tarp, and found the owner. It's a 66 that's been sitting for 15 years, and he's ambivalent about selling (which means he likely will not). Maybe however it will trigger him to get it on the road.

After reading here and looking, I would prefer an all original Series III. I like the split tank just because they DID it, and also the flat back window on the hard top. But perhaps I'll end up with a couple Alpines, seems like wicked fun hobby.

BTW: my profile picture is of a rebuilt head of an Audi 2.8l, just back from the machinist. All 30 valves were bent in this "interference" engine after a bolt on the tensioning pulley broke. It was a great job to build confidence I suppose.