• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Oil Pressure Gauge Needle Sticking

jmahall

Silver Level Sponsor
Speaking of oil gauges:

Getting close to finishing the project. Fired up new motor yesterday.
Oil pressure gauge came up but stayed there. Needle sticking at high point.

Any ideas?Oil Pressure.jpg

mikephillips

Donation Time
The way the oil pressure gauge work it is a curled oval tube that pushes on the end of the needle. As pressure build the tube wants to straighten out, pushes the needle over towards the high end. As pressure drops, should move back but of the pivot for the needle is dried out it can stick. You can remove the gauge, take the glass and face off and with a toothpick or brush put a drop of machine oil on the pivot. Then by hand work the needle back and forth to work it in. Should after a few back and forth movements then go park by itself again. Fortunately it isn't normally rust inside the gauge, just dryness that causes this.

alpine_64

Donation Time
A side note...use VERY light pressure when moving the smaller 2" gauge needles, they are very thin metal and will kink if you push them to hard when stuck... So patience and gentle

jmahall

Silver Level Sponsor
Thanks Michael, will give it a shot. Not surprising though, it's been sitting since 2004.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Another quick sidenote. You can use wd40 and a soft cloth to clean the gauge face, it wont remove the silk screenes lettering.

mikephillips

Donation Time
If you look at the other thread on disassembly it shows a picture of the insides of an oil pressure gauge. If I have to work the needle back and forth to loosen it and get light oil in, I push it down at the bottom where it forms a U with a small pair of tweezers that have a 90 degree bend at the pointed end. Then I can reach the back part, move it back and forth till it will reset on it's own and not risk bending the needle any more than necessary.

jmahall

Silver Level Sponsor
Got it serviced and all's well, but I must say, as it sits on top of the steering column, it was a pain to get out and back in again.