• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Personal Property Security

Status
Not open for further replies.

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Gives a new meaning to the old saying: "Locks are only to keep honest people honest."

Keep in mind this entire video is less than 3 and a half minutes long.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
The critical issue is knowing the number of tumblers on each lock. Knowledge is supreme, which when taken to the extreme is the key to our vehicle Sunbeam security program. Very few people know how a 50 y.o. lock (or vehicle) operates. Those that do have knowledge and are almost impossible to stop. I'm thinking the car now under construction will be wired so differently that even a Sunbeam expert will not be able to start it.

Bill

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
Of course, the Video guy has NEVER seen those locks before....OR those TOOLS....

OR, HOW to use those tools...

YUP, just a GUESS on his part..... ???? NOT!

TRY it at YOUR home.... and let me know how it works out...for YOU!

AND, BTW, ONLY use a fraction of the time of the video....or at least no MORE than the video...

DW

Last edited:

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
If you were a professional thief or a professional locksmith. It used to be hard to buy locksmith tools..

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
All locks (especially padlocks) can be defeated. The only meaningful difference between "good" and "bad" locks is the amount of time (and corresponding risk of getting caught) required to get the job done.

FWIW (maybe not much), mere possession of the lock picking tools shown in the video is a crime in most parts of the U.S.

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
The best lock picking tool?
Battery powered right angle grinder with a cutting wheel......

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
The best lock picking tool?
Battery powered right angle grinder with a cutting wheel......

Amateur hour and not at all discreet, but very effective when law enforcement response time is slow / tomorrow / never.

Last edited:

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
The advent of the cordless angle grinder has pretty much made padlocks obsolete. If someone wants your stuff, it isn't hard for them to get it.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
I always liked how bolt cutters can cut through hardened locks like butter in the movies.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
You could open the old Master Locks by cutting the middle teeth out of their skeleton key and just leaving the end tabs.

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
The primary use for a Lock, these days, is to be able to say "IT WAS Locked,"

....When asked by the police- for the necessary report, for insurance claims.

....There ARE locks that are less pickable, Medeco comes to mind.

DW

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
I just looked it up but you used to be able to buy an airbag simulator on eBay.
What this thing does is you remove the airbag from a car plug these things in and voila....
All the dash lights and everything else functions properly except for what they stuff styrofoam cups etc where the airbag was...
Absolutely laughable what eBay has allowed over the years selling lock picking tools selling airbag simulators and I'm sure that's just a tip of the iceberg what wankers.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
During my "tour of duty", I knew two guys who had lock picking tools. Whenever they reported to a new duty station, chore #1 was to notify the C O they had the tools were available to help whenever needed. I had occasion to observe their handiwork. The most interesting thing I noticed was how uneven their results were. Sometimes the lock opened like magic, some were very stubborn and there were a few failures. I suspect results may depend on the internal condition of the lock. A rusty, troublesome lock may be you best security bet.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.