• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

New Bumpers

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
I have a set on my Series II, putn on about 7-8 years ago. They look good but are thin and very subject to warp if your mounting points are not right on.
For the price difference a rechrome of originals is the way to go.
If you search around, order directly from factory you might get a better deal on the stainless.

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
We have them on two of our Alpines. In the U.K. we can only get 'E.U.' standard re-chroming done. This tends to mean that as soon as you use the car properly the part goes rusty! I bought my chrome wheels from India because I knew that the chrome was done to 'old fashioned' U.K. standards not current ones. The stainless bumpers suit us because they stay bright and are maintenance free. As Bulldurham says they are thinner. They look the same but are about ⅓ the weight.

Tim R
P1150137.JPG P1090039.JPG

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I have had the same stainless bumpers from Vietnam on Blue Boy for 10 years.

Still bright and shiny, but very flimsy.

Unless they have improved the hardware that comes with the bumpers, you might as well throw it in the scrap box.

Would not go this route again.

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
Dan, The bumpers on the white car are about 10 years old, the ones one the red car about 4 years old. They changed the hardware (some of which we originally chrome) and the holes. On the original set the holes were round and the customer had to file them square, they now come with square holes, accurate over riders and all rubbers and mounting bolts (in stainless).

Tim R

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Improvements are welcome. Thanks Tim.

Providing you can find a good Chrome Shop, I prefer to have mine re-chromed like I did recently for my Red GT (Dallas Plating, Dallas, Ga).

mikephillips

Donation Time
Make sure you find a recommended chrome shop with customers you can ask about how theirs last over time. Had a friend who had bumpers done for a mid 60s Mustang and after about a year they were starting to show pinpoints of rust coming through

bobbo

Gold Level Sponsor
I'm thinking, for a little inside job while the weather is still below zero outside, I'll take one of my bumpers off and try a chrome wrap.
We have a few 3M dealers in the area, so I should be able to get a quality wrap to try this with.
Photos could be forthcoming.
wish me luck

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
My bumpers are back from the chrome shop. They did a little straightening and then rechromed them. They look great. Sorry, I didnt take any pics when I saw them. Also don't know the price since it is getting rolled into the total price for my paint and body work.