• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Ignition light stays on.

wtaylor

Silver Level Sponsor
The ignition light stays on all the time. Everything in the car works and I put a meatier on the battery cables and it reads 13.2v. I don't think this is the original alternator because the wiring has been changed. Any ideas as to why the light stays on all the time?

Attachments

• 20220206_133752.jpg
    20220206_133752.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 41
  • 20220206_133610.jpg
    20220206_133610.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 41
  • 20220206_133505.jpg
    20220206_133505.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 41
  • 20220206_133443.jpg
    20220206_133443.jpg
    261.5 KB · Views: 41

wtaylor

Silver Level Sponsor
No it s not. This just started back in November. I just haven't had the time to look into it.

Silver Creek Sunbeam

Gold Level Sponsor
No it s not. This just started back in November. I just haven't had the time to look into it.
Gotcha…I did use an LED when I rewired my car and found out that it wouldn’t work. Just wanted to mention it in case, so you wouldn’t have to scratch your head as long as I did if you were in the same situation. Lol

loose_electron

Donation Time
LEDs work just fine if they are in the right direction and have the proper value series resistor. Every single light and gauge in my car uses LEDs.

13.2V i ok, a fully charged battery should be about 13.6V

Can you point me to a wiring diagram for this particular car?

Silver Creek Sunbeam

Gold Level Sponsor
LEDs work just fine if they are in the right direction and have the proper value series resistor. Every single light and gauge in my car uses LEDs.

13.2V i ok, a fully charged battery should be about 13.6V

Can you point me to a wiring diagram for this particular car?
My apologies…I should have said that the LED isn’t ‘plug and play’ for the ignition light, which it is not. As you mentioned, it requires a resistor.
Every light in my car is LED, except for that one. It wasn’t with the extra effort for me for a light that stays on a couple of seconds.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
You need to determine how your current wiring differs from the stock wiring.

Mike

loose_electron

Donation Time
Here is the wiring diagram.

What a horribly drawn and confusing schematic. (Not your fault!)

IF the car is still wired as shown in the schematic:

My first educated guess would be that the brown-black wire coming off the Ignition Warning Light is getting grounded out somehow when it shouldn't be.

The white wire off the other side of that IWL is just general power when the car is in run mode, fed there from the ignition switch.

Does anyone know the purpose of the "Warning Light Simulator" box?

I would check the voltage of the brown-black wire. If it is under 1V, then it's grounded (as expected) I would then unplug the wire from the WLS box and check the voltage again. If the wire remains under 1V (IWL stays on) then the problem is a short to ground somewheres along the Brown-Black wire.

If the light goes dark with the wire unplugged then the problem is that the WLS box is grounding out the wire somehow when it shouldn't.

Best I got.

wtaylor

Silver Level Sponsor
You need to determine how your current wiring differs from the stock wiring.

Mike
It looks like they only replaced the brown\purple and brown\green with Black and White. White goes to F on the control box and Black goes to CW2 on the alternator relay. When I drove the car after posing this the light went out. I got on the car hard after coming out of a turn just for fun. The light flickered then went out. I made a stop and when I started it back up the light stayed out.

wtaylor

Silver Level Sponsor

My first educated guess would be that the brown-black wire coming off the Ignition Warning Light is getting grounded out somehow when it shouldn't be.

The white wire off the other side of that IWL is just general power when the car is in run mode, fed there from the ignition switch.

I would check the voltage of the brown-black wire. If it is under 1V, then it's grounded (as expected) I would then unplug the wire from the WLS box and check the voltage again. If the wire remains under 1V (IWL stays on) then the problem is a short to ground somewheres along the Brown-Black wire.

If the light goes dark with the wire unplugged then the problem is that the WLS box is grounding out the wire somehow when it shouldn't.

Best I got.
I might be a minute before I can check this. I had surgery on my back last week so no cowling under the dash for a while. As I mentioned in the other post while I was driving the car today the light went out.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I was driving the car today the light went out.

Sounds like a "Loose Connection"

Pete S.

Bronze Level Sponsor

Best I got.

A "Warning Light Assimulator" is a small mechanical/electrical component that powers a warning light when there is no direct provision of one from an alternator regulator . It senses alternator voltage, and then when output is above a set value, opens a connection in the assimulator to turn off the warning lamp.

The original mechanical 3AW Lucas units are terrible, but there are many aftermarket ones that are solid state and reliable. If you are still running a 3AW, and the alternator is healthy and your warning lamp won't go out, It's probably the assimilator.

Hope this helps.

ps

Last edited:

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
"assimulator" - I've never heard it called that. Funny!

It should be worth checking wiring connections at the 3AW and the brown+yellow wire at the alternator before trying a replacement 3AW.

Mike

loose_electron

Donation Time
A "Warning Light Assimulator" is a small mechanical/electrical component that powers a warning light when there is no direct provision of one from an alternator regulator . It senses alternator voltage, and then when output is above a set value, opens a connection in the assimulator to turn off the warning lamp.

The original mechanical 3AW Lucas units are terrible, but there are many aftermarket ones that are solid state and reliable. If you are still running a 3AW, and the alternator is healthy and your warning lamp won't go out, It's probably the assimilator.

Hope this helps.

ps
Ah, ok that makes sense here. An intermittent short to ground, or this little box gone bad makes sense.

Pete S.

Bronze Level Sponsor

It should be worth checking wiring connections at the 3AW and the brown+yellow wire at the alternator before trying a replacement 3AW.

Mike

No doubt a "British" term!

loose_electron

Donation Time
Like anything Lucas equipped, check all of the connections. Especially the grounding.

Good luck!

Hey!

I'll have you know that fixing
flaky electrical systems in British
cars helped me pay for college back in the day!

:):cool::confused::D

But yeah, agreed, go fix the grounds
and check all the connections.

For this particular problem,
it is the presence of an unwanted ground
rather than the lack of a good ground.

Pete S.

Bronze Level Sponsor
Hey!

I'll have you know that fixing
flaky electrical systems in British
cars helped me pay for college back in the day!

:):cool::confused::D

But yeah, agreed, go fix the grounds
and check all the connections.

For this particular problem,
it is the presence of an unwanted ground
rather than the lack of a good ground.

Oh, I've been chasing Lucas wiring since I was a kid. My dad had a S-3 Alpine that needed a lot of electrical attention. After that a succession of Norton motorcycles.

Best wishes!

Pete S.

Bronze Level Sponsor

Mike

I agree, isolate before replacing. But a new 3AW is probably dodgy right out of the box. There are several solid state ones out available. Plus some schematics. Components are cheap, so you can solder up a few of them for the price of a single Lucas labelled one.