• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

replace windshield seal SV with frame on car?

Paul67

Gold Level Sponsor
I've been searching for a while about how to replace the windshield seal on my 67 SV.
For what I'm seeing the windshield frame has to be removed from the car to do this.
However I did see one post by greenbean where he says that he managed to remove the windshield
and rubber seal and replace with the frame in place on the car. Apparently, it was a simple job with the help of his wife. I like simple! There were no replies or comments.

Has anyone else managed to do this?

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
If you're not replacing the dash pad, and the rubber seal under the frame, you should be able to replace the windshield rubber without removing the frame. Biggest job is removing the stainless molding around the windshield. Yes, it can be done.
Just my non-professional opinion. Or I'm wrong. Good luck.

Paul67

Gold Level Sponsor
This was the original post. in case it's of interest. Just copied and pasted.

I replaced my windshield, while the frame was on the car, as the frame did not have to be painted. Let me tell you it was quite easy with the help of my wonderful wife. It took us about 30 minutes for the glass and gasket (2 tries total) and about 90 minutes for all the stainless trim. When installing the SS trim my wonderful wife suggested that we use a thin string, like we did to get the windshield gasket in, to install the SS trim and it made all so much easier --- great wife I have :). So yes, the windshield can be changed out while the frame is attached to the car --- but I think my wife made all the difference :). Oh happy day!!!

Paul67

Gold Level Sponsor
I'll put this on the back burner until it warms up. Working with cold glass is not a great idea.
I will try to report back when I eventually get around to it.

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
But why bother? There are 5-7 bolts holding on the whole thing. The struggle over the stainless with it still on the car seems to me to far exceed taking off the whole thing and putting it back on.

Don't lose the wedges though! (I did - and before the internet for ease in replacing).