• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

S-U-N-B-E-A-M Letters

tylerite3124

Platinum Level Sponsor
Has anyone repaired the mounting pins on OEM hood and trunk letters that have broken off on removal? Are the letters made of pot metal or real metal that has been chromed? Any expertise will be much appreciated. Thanks.

Rick

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Rick, I believe they are pot metal.

Probably not worth the effort to repair. Tim Raymond (Our Video GUy) suggest we "clip" the pins off of the letters and "other" emblems, fill in the holes and use a stickem to attach the letters. Also will help elimenate potential rust behind them.

tylerite3124

Platinum Level Sponsor

Probably not worth the effort to repair. Tim Raymond (Our Video GUy) suggest we "clip" the pins off of the letters and "other" emblems, fill in the holes and use a stickem to attach the letters. Also will help elimenate potential rust behind them.

Thanks, Dan

tylerite3124

Platinum Level Sponsor
While we are on the subject of LETTERS, I came across this 'H' & 'R' in my box of letters. Can anyone tell me what they are for? They are the exact same size as the SUNBEAM letters and look like they are made by the same manufacturer. Help!

Rick

IMG_9438.JPG IMG_9439.JPG

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
While we are on the subject of LETTERS, I came across this 'H' & 'R' in my box of letters. Can anyone tell me what they are for? They are the exact same size as the SUNBEAM letters and look like they are made by the same manufacturer. Help!

Rick

Rick,

First guess would be "HUMBER".

index.php

Hope this helps,

alpine_64

Donation Time
Rick... You can use the HUMBER letters to combine and replicate a very fun detail from a period tunner who would rebadge the rear after ( 3x f1 world champ Sir Jack) BRABHAM

Glenn

Donation Time
when I first started my Sunbeam project, my kids wanted me to change the letters to spell "SHAGBEAM" - a homage to Austin Powers...

alpine_64

Donation Time
when I first started my Sunbeam project, my kids wanted me to change the letters to spell "SHAGBEAM" - a homage to Austin Powers...
You'd need to drill another set of holes for that, and re-centre, but there should be a G from the SINGER range of saloons

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor

Rick (and any others interested in the conversation), I took a look at one of my Alpines currently undergoing restoration and believe I will "not" fill in the holes.

I think the letters could be used whether the "pins" are attached or not and still use the "stick'em" to attach the letters which would seal holes. If you have letters that are suitable for your restoration/replacement and some have the pins broken off or just too short to fasten as the originals do, the letters with partial pins would help align correctly.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Just a thought.... Don't drill holes, just "stick" the letters on.
True dan.. But you would need to at least fill the holes for the aforementioned SHAGBEAM as its 1 more letter and using thw existing holes would mean tbe text is off centre... Unless a series V.. Which shouldnt have any holes... ;-)