• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

I Love a Parade

Silver Creek Sunbeam

Gold Level Sponsor
Hello Sunbeamers...

I'm looking for input. I've had my car (Series V) for 2 1/2 years now and more and more people around the area are finding out about it. Knowledge has given rise to requests for things like parade transport...think homecoming queen candidates and such for example, riding on the back of the car. Up to this point, I have not agreed to any.

My question is this: have any of you done this and how did you seat the person?
I don't want to damage the stowed top or paint. I've considered covering a piece of plywood with padding on both sides and then vinyl that matches my boot cover to cover the area but I'd like to hear what some of you may have done.

Or, is it just a bad idea that you all would not recommend?
(photo for reference)

tay_in_benz_e32a0ed560efaf7f60f1e295105d1b7c821befaf.jpg

Silver Creek Sunbeam

Gold Level Sponsor
I personally wouldn't be comfortable with someone sitting back there.. No idea how strong the rear deck lid is.

I might consider doing it if the Pope asked me nicely..

51831647417_b5bbd5a991_b.jpg
I love our Sunbeams but the Pope is probably going to want something Italian...
Seriously though...in my mind they are sitting more in the area covered by the convertible top boot (different I think on my car from yours) than on the actual deck lid but like you...I'm not sold on doing it yet.
Nice car!

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
I would NOT have them sit on the folded top and cover. It’s not strong enough and not only will you risk ripping the cover, you may well also bend the top bows. The bit behind the top is indeed quite strong and should easily support a couple of trim lassies, but the chance of them sliding forward and screwing up the top is too much to risk.

The plywood thing sounds plausible… but how will you protect the body where it hits the underside?

Silver Creek Sunbeam

Gold Level Sponsor
I would NOT have them sit on the folded top and cover. It’s not strong enough and not only will you risk ripping the cover, you may well also bend the top bows. The bit behind the top is indeed quite strong and should easily support a couple of trim lassies, but the chance of them sliding forward and screwing up the top is too much to risk.

The plywood thing sounds plausible… but how will you protect the body where it hits the underside?
My thought was covering the plywood all the way around in padding and vinyl, so the bottom would be just like the top.

SierraNev

Diamond Level Sponsor
WOW ! I was just looking at these pictures yesterday !

This Tiger was in the Homecoming parade my Senior year of High School in 1985.

The Queen seems to be sitting on something with her back on the roll bars.

My vote would be a no. To expensive to fix any damage

Silver Creek Sunbeam

Gold Level Sponsor
WOW ! I was just looking at these pictures yesterday !

This Tiger was in the Homecoming parade my Senior year of High School in 1985.

The Queen seems to be sitting on something with her back on the roll bars.

My vote would be a no. To expensive to fix any damage

The only Sunbeam I’d ever seen in person my senior year of high school (1986) was my dad’s Tiger. Lol
Yeah…unless I can come up with something I am confident will prevent any damage, I won’t do it but it would be kind of fun.
That’s why I threw it on the forum to see if anyone had done it in a way that didn’t cause any problems.

watisit

Diamond Level Sponsor
Hi Tod, just a thought too...... I know this should be fun for everyone involved with this kind of celebration but is there any extra insurance required for you, the car owner just in case something happens to your car or occupants having fun.......... Cheers!

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Veterans Day parade

Attachments

• 6E25CBF7-DE3A-4C8B-AABB-51C31FBB4ACC.jpeg
    6E25CBF7-DE3A-4C8B-AABB-51C31FBB4ACC.jpeg
    119.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 80A2C4A2-5450-4D5A-991D-A335CBC89DB7.jpeg
    80A2C4A2-5450-4D5A-991D-A335CBC89DB7.jpeg
    65.4 KB · Views: 33

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
A buddy and I had the same idea about a hard 1/2 tonneau.
I made a paper then wooden pattern several years ago. He did one better by creating a fiberglass one that covers the area of the parcel shelf. I got one and it's been reinforced with a wood bow not for sitting but for headrests and possibly some guides for the shoulder belts. Plus I thought it would build a couple speakers into the bottom of it. Alas too many cars too many other things to fix right now so that project is aside the stove not even on the back burner. I can shoot a couple pictures or I'll grab a couple of his and post them.
As for the parade that's really great too bad you can't do anything like that in California because you can't even use the word landlord anymore let alone king or queen, unless the king is a queen...
Only a sexist homophobe would say that haha. It used to be you could quote Seinfeld and say not that there's anything wrong with that... :)

Silver Creek Sunbeam

Gold Level Sponsor
A buddy and I had the same idea about a hard 1/2 tonneau.
I made a paper then wooden pattern several years ago. He did one better by creating a fiberglass one that covers the area of the parcel shelf. I got one and it's been reinforced with a wood bow not for sitting but for headrests and possibly some guides for the shoulder belts. Plus I thought it would build a couple speakers into the bottom of it. Alas too many cars too many other things to fix right now so that project is aside the stove not even on the back burner. I can shoot a couple pictures or I'll grab a couple of his and post them.
As for the parade that's really great too bad you can't do anything like that in California because you can't even use the word landlord anymore let alone king or queen, unless the king is a queen...
Only a sexist homophobe would say that haha. It used to be you could quote Seinfeld and say not that there's anything wrong with that... :)
Pics or posts would be great and I was kind of thinking along the lines of what your mentioning, so that would be good info.

As far as terminology, I don't think there is any sitcom made prior to about 2010 that could make it on the air today, including one of the most popular of all time, 'Friends'.

Thanks!

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Had a couple of women setting on the metal just behind the top. I glued 1/2" carpet padding onto a piece of carpet for them set on. Worked just fine. No chance of anybody sliding and offered some padding comfort. An interesting story:

The passengers were a local judge running for re-election, her daughter with hubby riding up front. Previously, I had given the judge a ride in the car. She had been asking for that for a year or two. I finally told her I would give her a ride for a "get out of jail free" pass. She agreed, saying that she would just stamp it on the back of her business card! That is just to tell you what kind of lassie she is. As we were loading up for the ride, I asked her if she want a sedate ride around town or a demo of what the car would do. She opted for the demo, telling me that at the moment she did not consider herself to be a judge and what happened in the car would remain in the car. So I showed her my best, including a 0 to 60 run of about 6 seconds. She loved it, then asked if I would drive her in the parade. Fast forward. After the parade, I asked her hubby if he wanted to take a ride in the car. He replied that he thought he just had. She very firmly told him "You DID NOT take a ride in that car."

Bill

Silver Creek Sunbeam

Gold Level Sponsor
Had a couple of women setting on the metal just behind the top. I glued 1/2" carpet padding onto a piece of carpet for them set on. Worked just fine. No chance of anybody sliding and offered some padding comfort. An interesting story:

The passengers were a local judge running for re-election, her daughter with hubby riding up front. Previously, I had given the judge a ride in the car. She had been asking for that for a year or two. I finally told her I would give her a ride for a "get out of jail free" pass. She agreed, saying that she would just stamp it on the back of her business card! That is just to tell you what kind of lassie she is. As we were loading up for the ride, I asked her if she want a sedate ride around town or a demo of what the car would do. She opted for the demo, telling me that at the moment she did not consider herself to be a judge and what happened in the car would remain in the car. So I showed her my best, including a 0 to 60 run of about 6 seconds. She loved it, then asked if I would drive her in the parade. Fast forward. After the parade, I asked her hubby if he wanted to take a ride in the car. He replied that he thought he just had. She very firmly told him "You DID NOT take a ride in that car."

Bill

Bill
That's a cool story...and I would say a cool woman!

nsbluenose

Silver Level Sponsor
Aside from the possible damage to the top and bows from someone sitting there, your insurance may not cover injuries to the person sitting there if something were to happen if they fell or slipped while in or on your car. I don't know if this would ever be an issue, but something to consider.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Here's what Daniel made up.

Attachments

• IMG_0091..jpg
    IMG_0091..jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0338..jpg
    IMG_0338..jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0342..jpg
    IMG_0342..jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0340..jpg
    IMG_0340..jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0093..jpg
    IMG_0093..jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0092..jpg
    IMG_0092..jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0096..jpg
    IMG_0096..jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 27

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Ken Ellis made up something like your describing. But Ken has not been around the site for a couple of years.
Bill