• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

What size Bolt Thread ??

fonz

Silver Level Sponsor
1963 series 3. What size are the BOLTS (thread and length) are the BOLTS that holds the Bumper "brackets" to the Car Frame ? Spent hours in the hardware store and they claim they are neither SAE Or Metric ! Thank You.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
They are 20 threads/inch. Can't remember for sure, but I'm thinking 7/16" diameter. If not 7/16", then 1/2", still 20 tpi.

There are no Metric fasteners on an Alpine. The vast majority are SAE "fine".

Bill

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Fonz, The factory original bolts for the SIV -SV Alpines I have are 1/2-20 x 1 and 3/4" long

Fordtootsie

Donation Time
Bill I am working on my ser I using ser V seats. The screws that hold on the lever to move the seat back and the screws that hold the spring mec on the other side of the seat are - metric

John

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Bill I am working on my ser I using ser V seats. The screws that hold on the lever to move the seat back and the screws that hold the spring mec on the other side of the seat are - metric

John

First I have heard about a Series Alpine leaving the factory with metric fasteners.

Fordtootsie

Donation Time
These metric screws are the dickens to get out. They - or at least mine - were rested in place and required heat and everything else to remove. I dont like them because as a screw they use the threads as a bearing surface. There are three per seat.

I replace mine with a screw that has a shank to act as the bearing surface.

Here is a picture of their screw and the one I used. I had to get a long screw in order to get a long shank portion for the bearing surface.

Attachments

• DSC04429.JPG
    DSC04429.JPG
    127 KB · Views: 38

tylerite3124

Platinum Level Sponsor
These metric screws are the dickens to get out. They - or at least mine - were rested in place and required heat and everything else to remove. I dont like them because as a screw they use the threads as a bearing surface. There are three per seat.

I replace mine with a screw that has a shank to act as the bearing surface.

Here is a picture of their screw and the one I used. I had to get a long screw in order to get a long shank portion for the bearing surface.

Any metric fastener you find on an Alpine or Tiger would have been put there by a PO, not ROOTES. Best to remove and replace it with the correct fastener. I have even had a custom body shop tell me the fasteners in my car are Metric but when shown they fit an SAE thread gauge they just scratch their head. I don't go there anymore.
Rick

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I have seen metric bolts used to 'fix' captured bolts or threads that were stripped and vice-versa. Find a bolt just slightly larger than the original, retap and Bob's your uncle. Of course, I have also seen them forced into the original nut, which 'fixes' the problem and saddles the next owner with a lot more work.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I found during my first V6 conversion the use of standard bolts in a metric thread. 3/8 20 were utilized by jose for the 10mm 1.5 threads for the headers. Probably more easily found. They "fit" but were slightly loose fitting, easily striped. It took me some time to find a good 10mm for the headers.