• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

1725 air filters

bobbo

Gold Level Sponsor
looking for replacement air filters to sandwich in between my original air filter cans. Series V 1725 Strombergs.
Have been using some Fram filters but the 6 inch OD looks odd as it is larger than the 5 3/4 inch and fairly high at 2 inches.
Wix have a filter at 5 1/2 inch outside diameter ( # 42032 ) but it too is a little to high.
Suggestions Appreciated.
Bob

bobbo

Gold Level Sponsor
Problem is: moving goods north across the border at high mail costs, currency exchange, and occasional import taxes.
What I'm hoping to find is a reasonable replacement that can be had locally, up in the great white north.
Surely there must be a filter from the likes of Fram etc. that would fit.
No disrespect to SS or the like, I've had good results from SS and Classic. But now I just need filters.
Bob

alpine_64

Donation Time
Bob.. Find a local triumph supllier if you domt want to import them.. The tr6 and 4 used the strombergs.. So filter should be the same

Durhamguy

Platinum Level Sponsor
Bob, I have been checking for you but so far haven't found anything. I will keeping looking.

Hodee

Donation Time
I use a K&N filter for Harley Davidson. Perfect circumference but just a tad taller. Not sure of the model number.

alpine_64

Donation Time
I use a K&N filter for Harley Davidson. Perfect circumference but just a tad taller. Not sure of the model number.
They Will work.. Maybe there is a paper filter for the harley? Make sure the K&N is well oiled or they don't do much filtering

bobbo

Gold Level Sponsor
Thanks for all input. I'll be using filter for the 65-66 GTO. a Wix # 42032. 5.5 diam. at 1.9 high.
Cheers, Bob

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
Original 1725 air filter cans? At least on my car, the filters were all one piece, with the metal bonded to the filter, and a breather pipe. And two little tubes inside so that they don't compress when tightened. I never saw any cans that had replaceable filters.

I did once cut apart a set, and found a Harley Davidson motorcycle filter that fit exactly right. But the metal itself from the cut filters was too flimsy.

bobbo

Gold Level Sponsor
Picked up my filters yesterday from a local auto parts supplier. the Wix 42032 fit the cans just fine, but as with the Harley filters Jay mentioned, they are also a little higher. So new taller spacers will go in over the filter mounting studs, so as not to deform the filters on assembly.
Cheers