• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Iran Sunbeam Engine?

fastfrontier17

Donation Time
This image was on Instagram with a Sunbeam tag. Anyone know anything about it?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220103-115455~2.png
    Screenshot_20220103-115455~2.png
    998.1 KB · Views: 113

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
All that induction isn't fitting in a series engine bay.

A/S,

It's got the mid block engine mounts and Hunter style water pump - not likely destined for a series car, or even any Audax version.

It might just be a "let's stick all this stuff on there and take a pic" type picture. The Weber manifold and exhaust manifold don't really line up with the correct port configuration. The intake is not bolted on - it's just sitting there. I'll also say a bit photoshopped.

It's an interesting thought.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Lots of bits resting against a block... That turbo would require some intersting plumbing for twin dcoe's ;-)

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Interesting plumbing for sure. I suspect that getting a pair of DCOE's to work properly in a "blow through" setup would be even more interesting.

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
Yes, I wondered about the inlet trumpets and how you would connect them up to the business end of that turbo.

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
From Facebook:

Sarpoolaki 4*4 specializes in building custom 4x4 trucks, racing and performance vehicles.
We are a family owned workshop that has been in Tehran-Iran for over 40 years.
Innovation is our vision with a passion for creating high quality products.
We feature a wide inventory of 4wd and 2wd new and used trucks, suvs and cars that we fully customize to meet your specific needs such as lift or racing suspensions, engines and transmissions, space frame chassis and more. We can also outfit your vehicle with any off-road accessory or performance option you want.
as you know, in the car community, and especially racing cars, the main goal is to remove restrictions and change usage patterns for better results. It is our pleasure to share your 4x4 projects accross all brands with this group. Madness has no boundaries ! Cheers

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
I sent a message to the two Sarpoolakis who are on that Facebook page. We'll see if they respond and what they have to say.

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
Odd to think of a performance engine shop in Iran. I know it was among the most progressive Islamic countries before the fall of the shah, but that is not the image projected in the west these days.

Last edited:

mikephillips

Donation Time
And since it hasn't been mentioned, in the 70s Chrysler sold the 1725 tooling and molds to some company in Iran. My understanding is the short blocks that Sunbeam Specialties sold were from there.

fastfrontier17

Donation Time
And since it hasn't been mentioned, in the 70s Chrysler sold the 1725 tooling and molds to some company in Iran. My understanding is the short blocks that Sunbeam Specialties sold were from there.

I've heard that too. Similar to how VW sold the tooling for the beetle to Mexico. Wasn't there a company in Japan (maybe Isuzu) that were manufacturing Rootes parts too?

alpine_64

Donation Time
I've heard that too. Similar to how VW sold the tooling for the beetle to Mexico. Wasn't there a company in Japan (maybe Isuzu) that were manufacturing Rootes parts too?
Izuzu didnt manufacture rootes parts... They started by building CKD cars then ended up building locally manufactured metricised hillmans.. And eventually evolved the rootes ohv engine into a twin cam....