• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Racing Header ???

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
Back in 03, Larry asked me to help him with his Alpine. He thought it could run better in the higher RPMs.

After seeing the head and how much it was milled, I was shocked he didn't have more head gasket issues.

I was also shocked how small the Exhaust valves were!

The head guy I was using, at the time, thought the Alpine Exhaust valve and port were the Extra little Bottle neck as far as performance.

The head guy put in as big Ex valves as he could, the Intakes were already BIG.

We notched the block to clear the Ex valves, but the pistons were right up to the deck!

Because he had so little head gasket issues, we figured why "fix" a problem that is not there?

It DID run better in the upper RPMs.

Unfortunately, Larry sold the Alpine not long after...

DW

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
does anyone make a good fitting Racing header for a 1725 ?
I have been using a series ll header but would like to
find something with better flow
Maybe in the UK ??
Thanks

Rocco

'
Lately I've become interested in Alpine headers and their development. You are looking for a header with better flow, which brings up a whole bunch of questions. Such as, "Better than what?", "At what rpm?" and "How could you tell?" I ask because I have yet to find performance information on any Alpine header.

Bill

alpine_64

Donation Time
As a side note, the header that dan posted with 4 into 1 looked similar to the ones Bill Atalla made years ago when he was building his race car

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Here are a few Alpine Headers:

1st Pic is cast iron manifold and Falcon HeaderAlpine Headers    20190105_130439.jpg

2nd Pic is a group of Alpine Headers. The one in the middle I believe came from an Early Alpine engine.

Attachments

• Alpine Headers  4 sets in this PIC   20190105_130419.jpg
    Alpine Headers 4 sets in this PIC 20190105_130419.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 77

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
To revive this old thread, Back when DanR posted the above pic, I was not UP on the Atalla header.

So I didn't grasp what DanR had (2 sets of Atalla's headers).

And/or I didn't fully appreciate the Atalla header, I really wanted a 4 into 1 header...

But, sometimes you need to crawl before you run...

So I quizzed DanR if he still had the Atallas, and he still had 1 set.

The remaining set is in rough shape with the front tube bashed in for clearance.

The good news is the Atalla header has bigger tubes to test.

Another step up the performance ladder... ??

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
As I mentioned above, they have programs to determine the optimum configuration for the engine and intended use. I found that Burns Stainless has them and they have designed the best option for our Elva race car. They gave me the ID and length of each tube.

They are going to build them for us as soon as we get the Elva assembled to a point that they can work on it. COVID has delayed that endlessly.

Oh, and it will be a 4-1.

And I'm still in to get one of these, if anyone makes one - again, as long as they are large enough ID for the Holbay exhaust and will clear the alternator - though I'm running a small Hitachi.

Last edited:

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Jay, I've been tempted on several occassions to build a set, time hasn't permitteed me to do so yet. Maybe after my "new" Fabricator gets the new V6 Headers underway.

Might be a good idea for you or Dan to lay out some spec's that you would like to have incorporated in the header.....

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
I built the mathematically correct prototype header for a small bore Alpine engine utilizing a program and formulas as you described Jay. Thread https://forum.sunbeamalpine.org/index.php?threads/physics-math-and-an-alpine-4-into-1-header.28990/. I have not hooked up with a shop to utilize the mandrel technique for bending. This would perfect the shaping. Yesterday I set in motion to get two or three Alpine engine rebuilds at Gibson Performance Engines. I will drop off the first two 1592 blocks next week. I will inquire at that time if there is a local shop that can mandrel fashion a 4 in 1 header from 1 1/4" OD/ 1" ID mild steel piping.

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
To revive this thread yet again...

Things are shaping up to test the Atalla Tri-Y header!

One thing I'm not thrilled about the current Atalla header

is the Collector.

It has a low Tech single tube part with a fairly sharp turn.

I'm thinking of changing the collector to a multi-tube Merged

collector with a more gradual transition.

And make it a slip fit to be able to change the primary

tube Length and try different collector shapes and sizes.

BUT, ultimately, a good equal length 4 into 1 header is Known to be

the best Exhaust (for an in line 4 banger) when you go above a certain point in the RPM/cam world.

So, currently, Hoping for GREAT things from Jerry's 4 into 1 effort!

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
1592 Engine builds are getting closer to completion. Different cams and compression. Dyno data will give real numbers comparison. I will also be comparing stock-Atalla- and my header. We shall see. Also, it is important to recognize the collector becomes a key component for proper scavenging.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Guys, I used Stan's Headers in Auburn Washington for my V6 Straight Back Headers until he retired and closed shop.

Even though I have not communicated with Stan since last July 2021, It might still be possible to contact him to see if he sold to another outfit that has continued with the fabrication of headers. There is a good posibility Stan can put you on to a source for the 1 & 1/4 dia Mandrel Bend Tubing.

253-854-5310 - 1-800-962-6467 - 253-854-7130

Located at:

Stan's Headers
stans-headers.com
4715 Auburn Way N, Auburn, WA 98002
(253) 854-5310 · Location closed

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
Dan, I looked into the shop and James G. Murphy auction disposed of all the equipment last February and March.

Last edited: