• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Wheel lugs

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
I need 10 wheel lugs for a stock SV. I will take what you have if you have less.
Thank you!

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Tracy, Can't believe they are listed a $4.00 each

I have probably enough for you 1.50 each +shipping

Give me a call or E-mail or PM Quanty and your mailing adress

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
That's great Dan! Thank you! I have a house full of out of town family, I'll PM you in an hour or so.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Tracy, I mis understood your need when I read the "LINK Reference Bernie posted and you "Replied to".....

Both listed "NUTS" - So off and running I tried to help. Sorry no bolts just Nuts:)

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Are Alpine wheel studs anything special? I always assumed they were easily replaced with stock Dorman-type studs available in any auto parts store.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Jim, I have purchased the Dorman wheel studs on several ocassions, they all are a tad bit larger in the area of tjhe knurls even if the studs are correct in dia and thread (7/16-20).

If you do not modify the knurls and force the studs into the stock Alpine hubs the is a GREAT possibility of splitting/bursting the hub.

If anyone knows for certain a part number/source of a correct replacement please post that info here for all Sunbeamers.

For what it is worth, I take my "new" Dorman lugs to my friend and have the knurls turned down to the stock Alpine specs

Last edited:

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
Sunbeam Specialties, I got several from him lately.
I bought a set from Rick. They fit but are too short for my aluminum wheels. if you have steel, they should work fine. He said he was lucky to get those and can't get longer.

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
I recently replaced some studs for a Tiger guy who ran the car with loose wheels on the rear.

It did a number on the hub holes.

BUT, part of the problem was the studs had been replaced with poor fitting studs!

Here is a picture of some of the studs I had on hand.

Stock is on the right.

The second from right is what came out.

The middle 2 were possibles, but with too short splines.

I ended up using the ARP studs on the far left, after shortening them.

IMG_20211109_135813297.jpg

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Dan, Did you have to "modify" the knurls on the ARP studs? Sure would be nice to find some studs that had the "correct" knurls AND the stud length we needed for various wheels.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I'm not-a-gonna do that!!! The stock hubs are already down to what I consider bare minimum.

I believe the best solution is to purchase the Dorman lug bolts (or similar) and have them re-knurled like I did to these.

Alpine wheel lugs  - studs for longer requirements     20211226_135014.jpg

Alpine wheel lugs  - studs for longer requirements     20211226_165901.jpg

Last edited:

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
Dan - curious what you mean by - hubs are down to bare minimum? Drilling the hole for the stud very slightly larger makes a proper fit for the available stud splines. Minimum what?

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Mike, I have seen some hubs that were slightly bent along the area where the lugs/studs are inserted. The metal thickness and the surround area is not overly strengthen for removing much/or any metal.

Just my opinion.

I have experienced also while removing the hubs they can/will become out of round from using various pullers.

I prefer to have the replacement knurels on the replacement studs reduced/reworked to "fit" the Alpine hubs.

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
Whatever makes you more comfortable. I don't remember exactly, but I think the holes only needed to be opened up something like .010" diameter. How do you re-work the area? Not sure what the correct term is, but looks like a spline, knurl is usually a crosshatch. If you just turn it down, then you remove the points which bite into the hub to prevent rotation. Also removes the plating. Just curious.