• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Sunbeam 2000 build

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
I don't think the trim ring needs to be very tight against the gasket. I aimed for having even spacing in the gap between the trim ring and the body, but not sure how feasible that was. I put the trim ring in place and used a sharpie in the screw hole to mark the spring clip. It was a challenge for me to drill the spring clip with any precision, since it is so flexible and bent under the pressure of the drill bit. I ended up with slightly larger spacing at the bottom of the ring than at the top. It seems solidly in place, though.

Mike

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Mike,
There is the problem, I have them too tight to the rubber gasket. As I remember the metal plate at the top is held on by three small "rivets" and the material for the rings is cast I believe and very fragile. Will take your suggestion and try to install screws in place of the rivets and increase the space so they are not so tight against the rubber.
Guy

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
I looked up installing them on bike forums. They were designed to go over stock rims and leave a gap on the bottom. The chrome ones come with a piece of chrome tape to cover it. Some have used it without the stock rim and the gap was closed but it fit too loose. A strip of foam tape around the retaining ring tightens it up nicely.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Mike,
There is the problem, I have them too tight to the rubber gasket. As I remember the metal plate at the top is held on by three small "rivets" and the material for the rings is cast I believe and very fragile. Will take your suggestion and try to install screws in place of the rivets and increase the space so they are not so tight against the rubber.
Guy

At the top of the ring, there is a small vertical plate attached by rivets I believe. That small vertical plate sits in a recess to keep the top part of the ring in place. I believe the rings fly off when driving when the bottom of the ring first comes loose, then it doesn't take much for the top of the ring to come unseated. So making sure the bottom of the ring is secure should be all that is needed. I don't think you need to replace the rivets at the top of the ring, unless they have been failing for you.

Mike

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Guys,
Please keep an eye on the parts for sale section as I just picked up a pallet full of spare parts that will be listed in the next couple of days. Just to list a few of the parts.
Seats
Covertible top frame
Front Valance
Door Cards
Tiger Headers
etc.

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
At the top of the ring, there is a small vertical plate attached by rivets I believe. That small vertical plate sits in a recess to keep the top part of the ring in place. I believe the rings fly off when driving when the bottom of the ring first comes loose, then it doesn't take much for the top of the ring to come unseated. So making sure the bottom of the ring is secure should be all that is needed. I don't think you need to replace the rivets at the top of the ring, unless they have been failing for you.

Mike
Mike,
I was able to carefully drill out the center rivet (after breaking a small drill bit) and put a brass screw in it's place. Seems to be much more secure.
Thanks!
Guy

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Did santa bring it for you?

Well, not to brag but since you asked and I know you are familiar with the Mick Jagger singing about his BIG 10 " and some guys brag about a 14".
Santa brought me a 16"
HAHA
Merry Christmas to all my Alpine Brothers and Sisters.

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Well, Happy to say that Magnumtuning did the trick!
No more CEL.
I was somehow able to tuck it under the console and run the wires to the extension cable dicretely so all appears to be stock.

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
What would cause a fuel smell from the left tank?
Tanks were pressure tested and there are not leaks, however everytime I fill up there is an odor of fuel. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Have you checked the vent hose for any apparent issues and checked the tightness of the vent hose connection clamp?

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
I need to pull the tank to do that as I mounted them higher than normal due to the larger wheelhouse.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
The left tank is the one with the fuel sender and that gasket can cause problems. It is possible that the pressure ring (I'm sure it has a proper name, but I don't know it) has come loose and just needs to be banged in tighter, or the gasket might need to be replaced.

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Jim,
I have a closed system adapted from the Honda, instead of a fuel sending unit in the driver's side tank the EVAP module was put in its place. It turned out to be one "snap on" connector was not seated properly. These same type of connectors are used on the high pressure fuel supply and return lines as well.
Thanks