• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Wheels/tires for 1966 Tiger 1A

rbrown1961

Donation Time
I'm having a difficult time finding the correct wheel/tire combination for the Tiger I just bought. What I have pieced together is 13X6 wheels (mini lite, perhaps) with 165/80/R13 tires. Does that make sense? Thanks for your help.

junkman

Gold Level Sponsor
Generally 165/80s go on the stock wheel which is 4.5 in. wide. the 6 inch wheels are generally for the wider types like 175/70, 185/70, 205/60. Have found you may have tire rub on the rear wheel wells if they have not been trimmed or rolled inwards. also larger than 185/70 on the fronts will require the valance to be trimmed. Hope this helps.
Jeff

alpine_64

Donation Time
Offset on the wheels is critical, especially on the front. Sunbeams have a shallow external rim depth with the majority of the width behind the mounting face. If you run a rim woth a deep external lip you have a high chance of the tyre grabbing the leading edge of the front valenece at the lower edge of the arch when the outer wheel is turning in

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
For what it is worth, I've been trying to find 165/80 tires for my Alpine with 4" wire wheels. I think that size tire is the best look for the car. I have found two sources. One is Coker tires, and they are about $250 a tire. The other is a Maxxis tire, which are about $60 a tire.

I have a whole other thread where I've been working on the idea of putting 14" or even 15" wire wheels on the car. But that's another story.

My Tiger has 185/70-13s and I think it gives a good Tiger width look.

Tiger Alpine Front.JPG