• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Dash Pad Installation

Fordtootsie

Donation Time
It has been a couple of years and I am back at it. I am installing a new dash pad on my series I. The windshield is not on the car and is in four seperate pieces. I have placed the new dash pad on the car for fitting. I noted that the pad goes under the lower windshield chrome - I also have a new lower windshield seal that needs to be installed .

As the dash pad cant or shouldn't end up under the chrome how is the best way to mark where to trim. Use a pencil to scribe along the pad next to the chrome and will the new seal coverup any gap between the chrome and the pad.

Generally it is best to ask those who have already done stuff than to just jump in.

John

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
The dash pad does go under the frame. There is an area on the sheet metal on the car where the windscreen mounting holes are
that the pad will go up to. I know that some people do take the padding off of the dash pad in this area so as not to interfere
with the screen fitment. The pad shouldn't need trimming as they fit pretty well. The only thing would be to lower the height
of the pad by removing some of the padding from under the pad. Some people just sand that area down to make it fit right.
Hope that helps.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I would suggest you purchase a pair of my Windshield Adjustment Nuts so you can set the correct angle of the windshield.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Here is the TECH Ref for the Adjustment Nuts.

I had my Draftsman Engineer Buddy fabricate a bunch of the nuts for the Sunbeam world.

Attachments

• WS58TechTip.pdf
    527.1 KB · Views: 35
  • Sunbeam WIndshield Adjustable nuts     20211017_185051.jpg
    Sunbeam WIndshield Adjustable nuts 20211017_185051.jpg
    268.8 KB · Views: 57

Fordtootsie

Donation Time
Here is a picture of what I have. The picture shows how the dash and chrome fit or dont fit together

Attachments

• DSC04321.JPG
    DSC04321.JPG
    268.7 KB · Views: 88
  • DSC04323.JPG
    DSC04323.JPG
    265.3 KB · Views: 89

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
You need to shave away (by sanding) all the foam under the area where the windscreen frame will rest on the dash pad.
And you don't need to cement the whole pad down.
Jan

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Just like Jan and I said, you need to shave that part where the windscreen sits. As you can see in your picture,
the screen fits right there. Jan is also correct that the whole thing doesn't need to be glued down.

Fordtootsie

Donation Time
Just an update

The series I & II Alpines are different from the rest in several ways.

One being how the car body is formed where the windshield frame meets the body. Later series have a lip or raised portion that the windshield frame sits on. It is also where the dash pad stopes - which puts the pad under the windshield frame. The windshield seal has a "T" shape where the top of the "T" goes down the lip and up on the frame making a seal.

Series I & II Alpines are NOT made that way. There is no raised portion for the frame to sit on - its flat. Making the pad go under the frame - in my way of thinking - even shaving the pad will not allow for a good seal using a rubber seal made for newer models - "T" shaped. They dont make series I rubber seals anymore but it looks like it would be more of an "L" shape with the bottom of the "L" making the seal between the frame and the car. Using the "T" shaped seal the seal between the frame and the car is made with the vertical portion of the "T" shaped bubber not the top of the "T" shaped bubber as used in the cars with a raised portion for the frame to sit on.

Has anyone put the newer "T" shaped seal on a series I car ?

Also the windshield frame on series I & II cars is not made out of a single piece of steel. It comes in four sections. It big and heavy and is made out of something - brass? - that is chromed - NO rust out !!

Just my rambling

John

alpine_64

Donation Time
John,

Most use the later S3-V screen to body seal. Use masric tape ( caulking cord) under the T to help seal, it will form to the gaos between the seal and panel.

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Be very careful to use the original SI-II screws in the wind screen frame, or new ones identical in length. If the screws are too long, they will pinch the glass and crack it.
Jan

Fordtootsie

Donation Time
I took some pictures to show - help explain - this gasket installation. The first picture shows that only the edge of the frame touches the gasket - not much surface area for a good seal - but sealing flat portion of the gasket to the body gives a large area to seal. Just hard to hold it down. The second picture shows the mid point attach point. The rubber tube has been trimed to make a good fit. The dash pad would then touch the round rubber portion and fill in the gap around the frame stud. The third picture shows that the end product - does not look bad. The forth picture shows the series II windshield vertical post and the door post. Note that this gives a complete channel for the window to move up and down in and thus giving better support and I hope better seal on wind noise. The series I door vertical post is quite small, almost always broke and does not provide a good seal

Attachments

• DSC04326.JPG
    DSC04326.JPG
    266.2 KB · Views: 67
  • DSC04325.JPG
    DSC04325.JPG
    232.3 KB · Views: 65
  • DSC04328.JPG
    DSC04328.JPG
    308.2 KB · Views: 65
  • DSC04324.JPG
    DSC04324.JPG
    311.2 KB · Views: 65

Fordtootsie

Donation Time
And yes Jan, you are VERY correct that the screws will brake the glass if not flush with the nut plate. Michael, thanks for the heads up using caulking cord as it will be what makes the seal.

hierogk

Donation Time
It is time to replace the dash pad on my Series IV. Is there any difference in the pads available from Classic Sunbeam and Sunbeam Specialties? Do they look and fit the same or is there anything else I need to consider? Any help would be appreciated.

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
As far as I know as I've bought them from both sources, CS & SS, they are the same, made by the same
company. Either one will work.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
As far as I know as I've bought them from both sources, CS & SS, they are the same, made by the same
company. Either one will work.
As sunalp has stated, both sources are excellent for our Sunbeams....

hierogk

Donation Time
Thanks. I appreciate it. It's great to have this forum to help make better decisions when repairs are needed.

Hodee

Donation Time
I have finished installing the glass into the frame including all stainless trim with surprisingly good fit. I also installed the body to frame rubber strip under the screen. The new dashpad has also been “sanded to remove excess padding “. But…, when I set the screen to the body the center of the screen sits about 1/4 inch high above the body. This is with the nuts just finger tight. Should I loosen all nuts and secure the center nut firmly first before torquing the rest? I used the adjustable nuts on the far ends but haven’t even started tightening them or adjusting them. Trying to get the center seated first. Any suggestions? Thanks

Bill Eisinger

Platinum Level Sponsor
Be very careful to use the original SI-II screws in the wind screen frame, or new ones identical in length. If the screws are too long, they will pinch the glass and crack it.
Jan
What are the specs for SI-II screws?…the parts manual lists BA screws but I’m not familiar with that designation.