• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Gear Reduction Starter

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
I am going to replace my current starter with a Gear Reduction one. My search of the site appears to recommend an Isuzu Trooper model but I cannot find the part number or year of car I need to order it. Any help will be much appreciated!
Thank you!

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
Why?

I admittedly did put a gear reduction starter on my kit car that had a V6 engine being turned by a VW starter. But my Alpine has never been at a disadvantage with the stock starter.

I'm not saying you shouldn't do it. I'm just wondering why and if there is a reason for the next time I need a starter (which has been really rare over the 40 years I've driven the car.

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
Mine is going and starting to crank slower and slower, I think it is drawing a lot of current. At any rate, regardless of that, The PO had decided to go with high compression flat top pistons so the car is hard to start when it cold out. I am hoping that cranking it with a bit more spin would help. If it does nothing then there is also no damage done.

phyrman

SAOCA Secretary
Diamond Level Sponsor
There is a guy in NY that sells them I cannot remember the name tho.........

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
That makes sense. Thanks.

One thing to always do is to take off the ground strap, clean all the surfaces and reattach.

phyrman

SAOCA Secretary
Diamond Level Sponsor
I am going to replace my current starter with a Gear Reduction one. My search of the site appears to recommend an Isuzu Trooper model but I cannot find the part number or year of car I need to order it. Any help will be much appreciated!
Thank you!
Keith Guftufson
Guftufson Machine Starters
1-978-281-2012

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
Tracy, we have a Powerlite gear reduction starter on one Alpine and a WOSP on another other. They spin the engine very quickly and the car starts easily. We have been very pleased with ours and for the difference in cost over the original it is a worthwhile upgrade IF you need to change a starter. The big advantage that many people don't realise is that the Hi-Gear style starters are the pre-engaged type and operate on the other side of the starter ring gear. As a result if your ring gear is a bit worn it is like getting a new ring as well.

Tim R

.P1070005.JPG

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor

BEpine

Platinum Level Sponsor
My engine is still on the stand but I have bench tested it and works fine. As Tim R stated, it will be just like having a new ring gear on the flywheel.

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
Tim, Where did you buy the WOSP brand starter?

Thank you fellows for the retailer link; I have it book marked. Much appreciated!

Hodee

Donation Time
Tracy, we have a Powerlite gear reduction starter on one Alpine and a WOSP on another other. They spin the engine very quickly and the car starts easily. We have been very pleased with ours and for the difference in cost over the original it is a worthwhile upgrade IF you need to change a starter. The big advantage that many people don't realise is that the Hi-Gear style starters are the pre-engaged type and operate on the other side of the starter ring gear. As a result if your ring gear is a bit worn it is like getting a new ring as well.

Tim R

.View attachment 24944

Tim R

.View attachment 24944
Is the new starter shown the Wosp version? No solonoid? thanks

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
Hodee,
I THINK that is the WOSP version, not 100% sure. These Hi Gear starters are usually the pre-engaged type, they need a supply from the battery to turn them over and a supply from position 3 on the ignition switch to act as the 'exciter' when you turn the key. There is no need for an external solenoid.

This is the link for WOSP https://www.amp-starters.co.uk/WOSP...ue-Reduction-Gear-Starter-Motor__p-34345.aspx

This is a link for Powerlite https://www.edfmotorsports.co.uk/product-page/powerlite-rac401-starter

There will be multiple other companies that supply similar items in the US.

Tim R

Acollin

Platinum Level Sponsor
Just a thought here based on your description of the issue. Maybe the starter is not the problem.
What weight oil do you run?
I was running 20/50 motor oil and it was tough to crank when the outside temperature dropped. I switched to 10/30 and all seems well. For my series V , that 20 wt starting viscosity was just too much. I drained my oil without starting the car to warm things up and one could see how wildly thick the old oil was compared to the new oil going in from the container.
Not sure if my solution suggests other issues—- but it did make things right at cranking on a cool day.
Be well

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
Just a thought here based on your description of the issue. Maybe the starter is not the problem.
What weight oil do you run?
I was running 20/50 motor oil and it was tough to crank when the outside temperature dropped. I switched to 10/30 and all seems well. For my series V , that 20 wt starting viscosity was just too much. I drained my oil without starting the car to warm things up and one could see how wildly thick the old oil was compared to the new oil going in from the container.
Not sure if my solution suggests other issues—- but it did make things right at cranking on a cool day.
Be well
Thanks for the thought! I think I am running a lower viscosity number but am due for an oil change anyway

SierraNev

Diamond Level Sponsor
Good afternoon,

I have a similar problem with my Series V. Went to start it up on Saturday for a quick tour in 60 degree So Cal weather and she would not start. I had the battery tested and it was fine, less than a year old. When I turn the key I got a click. So I gave the wife a 2 x 4 and a small mallet and when I turned the key, with a few taps, the car started perfectly.

I put in 20/50 high zinc oil in July. I was not really happy about rebuilding / replacing the starter.

I guess I have some trouble shooting to perform this weekend.

Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again

Emmett