• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

What is the trick

wtaylor

Silver Level Sponsor
I am on my 3rd SV Alpine since 1989. The one thing I have never been able to figure out is how to easily lock the trunk. The lock sets so close to the bumper I can't get the key into it. So what is the trick.

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
Do you have an original key, the head is usually wide and short which gives room to fit easily. Sometimes replacement keys are made and the heads are so big it is tricky to get them in the space available.

Tim R

Greggers

SAOCA Vice President
Platinum Level Sponsor
Allegedly, there were originally spacers that kicked the bumper out a bit. Search the site using the magnifying glass up to the right for “bumper spacers,” and you should find some helpful thoughts. Some folks have replaced the originals with aluminum spacers.

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor
Allegedly, there were originally spacers that kicked the bumper out a bit. Search the site using the magnifying glass up to the right for “bumper spacers,” and you should find some helpful thoughts. Some folks have replaced the originals with aluminum spacers.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Spacers being mentioned (dimensions are: ID=0.53" x OD=0.877" x Length=0.623"):

upload_2021-11-11_10-4-0.png

upload_2021-11-11_10-6-22.png

A shot showing the spacing between the bumper and trunk lock on my series V:

upload_2021-11-11_10-7-52.png

Mike

Greggers

SAOCA Vice President
Platinum Level Sponsor
Looks about normal for a car that lost the spacers. I have an aftermarket key. I ended up cutting half of it off with an angle grinder.

33BE828A-3FB8-4F39-80FE-B841CCC46D92.jpeg

rixter

Gold Level Sponsor
Your bumper may also be pushed in a bit as mine is. I never really knew how far mine was pushed in until after reading this post I went out and removed the bumper to check for the spacers. My original issue was that the license lights were blocked by the bumper a bit and were not lighting up the license plate enough. Then when I finally got a key made for my boot, I ran into the same issue with the key clearance that started this post. I DO have the spacers mentioned, but having the bumper off the car and comparing to a spare I have, I realized the bend in the middle is more my issue.

Rick

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
You pay postage and I will send a pair for free-unless you happen to be passing through Columbia, SC and can stop by!

wtaylor

Silver Level Sponsor
Eric
You pay postage and I will send a pair for free-unless you happen to be passing through Columbia, SC and can stop by!
Eric,

Thanks for the spacers. After I took the bumper off I could see I had them. They were just flush with the body work. I went to Lowes and got some washers to try and move it out, With a lock washer at the head of the bolt I could only get the bolt to catch with 2 washers. Now I can get the key in, but once I turn it to lock I can get it out. I am going to take the key to the lock shop and see it they have a key with a smaller head or I will have to do like Nick and cut down the head of the key.