• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Oversize 1725 valve guides existing ?

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
We are just rebuilding a 1725 alu head over here which let loose the valve guides at 70° C washing temperature. Looks like the guides were replaced by some PO with head bores appearantly widened. Not good we know, but in order to rescue this otherwise good head we are asking ourselves whether oversize guides are existing. The normal diameter is 14.3mm, but we'ld need bigger ones. Anybody knows? Or if there are other close alternatives which feature proper length & could be turned down to let's say 14.5mm...

Last edited:

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
we have found the following raw guides which can be turned on a lathe to appropriate dimensions
I'm afraid that's exactly what you're going to have to do. As far as I know , you have a unique situation and I think
your solution is just what needs to be done.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
My engine shop owner stated that he found small traces of machining at the guide recesses. So we can assume poor workmanship in order to make exchange of the guides easier. What an I...t job. This is the very culprit - actually we only wanted the water channels welded and a skim, but it turns out a way more costly repair. The one guide installed we could push in by hand! Anyway head is nicely welded already, so we won't give up:

1635598061995_IMG_0311.jpg

IMG_0312.jpg

Last edited:

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Update: Raw oversize guides have arrived ( 7.9mm bore). Engine shop turning them down to the required outer dimension/length now. Let's see:

IMG_0316.jpg

Shannon Boal

Platinum Level Sponsor
It is hard to see clearly, but the top two (cylinder three and four) exhaust seats look.......sketchy. Nice welding!