• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

HOOD SCOOP

fonz

Silver Level Sponsor
Would a Cowl Induction type hood scoop tend to Pull the hot air Out of the engine compartment ?? or because of the pressure at the windshield, tend to Force air IN ??? anyone have experience with that ??

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Take a look at the Tiger LAT hood/bonnet. It might have an answer for you.

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
Normally, the high pressure at the base of the windscreen would cause air to flow into such a scoop.

fonz

Silver Level Sponsor
Would that "air pressure" help force Hot Air Out the" Bottom" ?? There really IS NO Openings for Hot Air to "Escape" the engine compartment. just trying to figure what kind of scoop I want that will do more than be cosmetic. No mystery why it gets so hot inside the passenger comp in these cars, and I really Don't want to be cutting "vents" in the fenders like a Trans Am. Are there any "links" to where people have "addressed this problem" ? -(Links, I don't do well trying to find things doing a "search") Thank You

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
As Dan pointed out above, check out a LAT hood. It has both a central scoop for fresh air intake, and two naca style ducts, I think intended to vent hot air.

fonz

Silver Level Sponsor
I am not a fan of those hoods. the center scoop "Opening" is too far Forward, both for asthetics, and in the rain, the water comes in directly onto the distributor.

Scotty

Silver Level Sponsor
Does it really help with cooling the engine? I thought the scoops were to help give the Carbs more air so they can breathe better and I'm sure folks are running electric fans on their rads with this setup. Just curious.

fonz

Silver Level Sponsor
the only scoops that help with Cooling are drawing the hot air out. in a tiger, there is no where for it to go ! I would think if more air was ducted in from below the grill, it might force the hot air out a little.? LOL

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Hot air has mostly been exhausted out the bottom of vehicle engine compartments for at least 75 years. Granted that there is not much room for air flow through the engine compartment of an Alger, but the alternatives to exhausting hot air out the bottom are limited. The back of the hood / base of the windshield is not suitable because it is a relative high pressure area. The front of the hood is a relative low pressure area and could be used to exhaust hot air, but that would reduce air flow through the engine compartment and would probably increase rather than reduce engine compartment temperature. Other than the front of the hood and the bottom of the engine compartment, the only other "suitable" locations for hot air exhaust from the Series Alpine engine compartment are through the fronts of the inner fender panels into the front wheel wells or through the backs of the inner fender panels and out through "flank" vents at the upper rear of the fenders behind the front wheels. It is well documented that the fender flanks behind the front wheels are an area of relative low pressure, but there is a lot of disagreement about whether the front wheel wells are relative high or low pressure.

Forcing more air into the engine compartment will undoubtedly reduce under hood temps to some extent (the air has to go somewhere), but it will also increase under hood dynamic pressure and increase front end lift at speed. In the real world, everything is a compromise based on appearance and performance requirements. The bottom line is that thermal insulation on the firewall, floors and transmission tunnel may be a better solution than trying to change airflow through a very cramped engine compartment.

Last edited:

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
The radiator on my alger project has a considerable rear leaning rake. Coupled with a large ducted electric fan, I hope that it forces more hot air out the bottom of the engine bay.

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
The radiator on my alger project has a considerable rear leaning rake. Coupled with a large ducted electric fan, I hope that it forces more hot air out the bottom of the engine bay.

It's bound to help. Interior insulation on the firewall, floors and transmission tunnel on a friends Mk-II Tiger made a huge difference in cockpit temperature (and noise). The car is very original, and insulation was the only "acceptable" solution.

fonz

Silver Level Sponsor
appears Insulation and a tilted radiator will be the solution. Thanks for all the input