• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

DuraPine II

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Here is another try at photographing. Thus one is existing light and gives more detail. Black on black is hard to photograph.
Bill

Attachments

• IMG_7246.JPG
    IMG_7246.JPG
    174 KB · Views: 88

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Trial fitted the brake master cylinder. Discovered that when used on an Alpine, this GM master cylinder will not return all way if it is released gradually. The end result would be a stuck "On" brake light and self engaging brakes. I cannot use the Alpine helper brake return spring, the end result of too many mods. So one more mod, modifying the brake light switch bracket in order to hold a helper spring. The bracket is a minor variation of established design. Here are a couple of photos. The helper spring goes from the bracket to the clevis pin on the brake pedal. It works fine. The spring is strong enough to always return the pedal, but too weak to move the pedal by its self.
IMG_7247.JPGIMG_7248.JPG

Last edited:

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I also had to add a small bracket to the brake pedal (6 to 1 ) to hook a return spring to.

Gotta PIC some where, will post if I can find it.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Doing some minor touch up but looking good to me! Red it was (Colour Code 39) Red it is :)

Attachments

• 0766 GT BW35 V6 Lid Buffed and waxed    20210514_105412.jpg
    0766 GT BW35 V6 Lid Buffed and waxed 20210514_105412.jpg
    339.3 KB · Views: 93
  • 0766 GT BW35 V6 Boot Buffing      20210511_141508.jpg
    0766 GT BW35 V6 Boot Buffing 20210511_141508.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 91
  • 0766 GT BW35 V6  getting buffed     20210514_202411.jpg
    0766 GT BW35 V6 getting buffed 20210514_202411.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 97

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Hmm. So that is what a driver paint job looks like? I think you just set a new standard. Looks good to me!

Bill

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Messing with the gas tanks. First thing I noticed, there is a drain plug in the left tank. A ready made fuel return point!! The plug was removed and a 1/8" pipe X 5/16" tubing adapter was installed. Here is photo with the fuel line installed.
IMG_7249.JPG

A hole was drilled in the forward trunk panel, a spring protector installed over the tubing and the hole mess installed.
IMG_7357.JPG

Photo with the side panel installed.
IMG_7358.JPG

There has been some conversation about the need for a grommet, #1 being the need to prevent the sheet metal panel from penetrating the spring and causing a leak. Here is closeup of the details.
IMG_7359.JPG
Comments welcomed.
Bill

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
That return setup should work fine. I would use a rubber grommet or better yet a bulkhead fitting instead of a spring protector, but that is JMO and I am OCD about fuel lines. Maybe a metal tubing sleeve to protect the plastic fuel line from physical damage ???

Last edited:

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Will the spring provide adequate protection in the trunk from crushing or puncture?
In a word, Yes. My major concern is after years of jostling and jiggaling, will the sheet metal hole work past the spring and cut the line?
Bill
An update of an unposted return. While the spring is entirely capable of protecting the fuel line from trunk usage, I was not so sure about protection from the hole the line goes through. So I decided to use a grommet. Pulled the line out of the spring, no problem. The spring, however, was a different story. It had already engaged with the hole and had to be screwed out. That was no problem, the hole was readily enlarged and the line and spring reinstalled. I am not concerned about accident damage to the line as the twice proven inertia switch should have the fuel pump turned off.

IMG_7360.JPG

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Working on the exhaust as hard I can (which is not very) whenever I can. We have been pretty busy with friends, sick and dying relatives and funerals. This is very difficult work for me as I have always had difficulty visualizing things in three dimensions. Add to that my reduced capacity and inability to weld a seam and you've got some slow going. Here is my masterpiece, the section that up, over, then down over the rear axle. Fabricated out of 2", mandrel bent U shapes, intended for header fabrication.

IMG_7508.JPG
As you can see, not at all a simple up and over job that I got from the muffler shop. No wonder it was impossible to position correctly.

Bill

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Time marches on. Unfortunately it goes faster than Bill Blue. Sanding the body down to factory primer, which means down to metal in some areas. I need to take the sanding job in bite sized bits. Therefore, I decided to start the wiring. First up, the modified Series II dash. Stripped and painted with Hammerite gray and populated with lights, gauges and switches.
Required show off picture:
IMG_8102.JPG