• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Coil wiring Series IV no external ballast, positive ground

TomSunIVGT

Donation Time
After at a mechanic garage to replace clutch master cyl. my wrenches could not reach, replace the starter and secure the generator I drove it home. It has not started since. Inside the distributor I saw the little black Lead Wire was broken, or burnt off. I replaced that but still no spark at plugs and the wire started to smoke.
My question is: Where do the three wires to the distributor attach? I think the garage swapped them around.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Not sure why the garage would mess with the ignition coil wires or distributor wires as part of those jobs you listed ... but here's a part of the series IV wiring diagram:

upload_2021-10-23_19-3-25.png

Wire colors:
"W" = white
"WB" = white + black

If you have a newer ignition coil with "+" and "-" terminals instead of SW & CB, "-" = "SW" and "+" = "CB". So white wire connects to ignition coil "-" and the white + black wire from the distributor connects to ignition coil "+".

Mike

mikephillips

Donation Time
As a series IV owner myself, one thing you should be aware of. Somewhere in IVa production the wiring switched from the documented series IV harness to the series V type harness with a generator circuit rather than alternator. How do I know this?? Well when I went to rewire mine I found it didn't match the workshop manual diagram. The new harness I got from SS matched the old so after digging around I found it was the same as the V, with a generator. So just something to be aware of.