• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

S3 GT interior photos needed

junkman

Gold Level Sponsor
Good afternoon gentlemen, I have just acquired a 63 (9202310) GT Alpine that has very little interior. The rear seat upper pads are there ,but nothing of the lower trim panels. It has one original seat and for some reason, a black dash that looks as though its been there for a long time. Any photos of a similar vintage GT would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Jeff

junkman

Gold Level Sponsor
Thanks Ernesto, nice album, I was hoping for pics of the rear seat area as it came stock. Specifically the sides and back areas.
Jeff

ernestovumbles

Gold Level Sponsor
I normally keep the back seat area covered under a tonneau cover, but here are a couple shots.

No idea what stock looks like, but this is what mine was when I got it.
I'm sure these were just ordered from Classic Sunbeam or Sunbeam Specialties.

51553802316_fd41cc414e_b.jpg

and here is a shot of the seat pad that just sits loose:

51554519999_4db6a3f12d_b.jpg

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
These photos are from my Series 3 GT I bought from the original owner and is completely original except for the new Carnival Red I put on shortly after acquisition.

upload_2021-10-5_8-44-43.png

upload_2021-10-5_8-45-13.png

upload_2021-10-5_8-45-34.png

The side panels on the SS kit appears to be missing the rolled and pleated aspect.

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
Jeff,

The GT's came with wood dashes, so maybe it was replaced at some point. Can you post a picture?

Mike

junkman

Gold Level Sponsor
Thanks guys, I spoke with Rick at SS yesterday and they don't have any of the S3 specific rear seat area panels. Not because he's out of stock, but because they don't make them. Mike the dash has S3 qualities like the octagonal generator lite and switch labels. I'm on the fence whether to change it back to wood or leave it as is. This car is going to be sold when done so we'll see what happens.

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
If it's a serviceable dash I would probably leave it to the next owner to change it if they want. I have been searching for definitive answers on how the S3 ST dashes were finished, but haven't found anything conclusive. Based on mine, which is believed to be original and some close up pictures of others, I believe at least some of them had a flocked finish. Does that one look fuzzy? It would be more obvious under instruments or around protected edges.

junkman

Gold Level Sponsor
Interesting Mike, I will check today. My immediate task is get it to run reliably and it's certainly a challenge with those f ing Zeniths.

AlsPine

Donation Time
Per Rick at SS, Series 3 ST and GT Alpines used a pattern called Longhorn on the seats and door panels and the smooth on the back panels. The GT rear seat cushion was longhorn also.
SS had interior kits using Longhorn, but the manufacture discontinued that pattern, so it is no longer available.
The series 4 and 5 used a smooth vinyl with some exceptions. Per Rick at SS, the pebble was randomly used throughout series 4, 5 and mark 1 Tigers. Mark 1A used the pebble.

Last edited:

phyrman

SAOCA Secretary
Diamond Level Sponsor
Jeff,
I just had 2 sets of Alpine GT interior made thru Martha Christiansen (ProPrep Interiors) I sent her an old set to use as a pattern.
The only parts I had her reupholster and return are the 3 cockpit finishers. Seeing that the original vinyl is no longer available, she used vinyl from a BMW, which closely matches Also, I sent an old interior set to our Club Tres Dan Richardson if you are on the East coast

Attachments

• IMG_0281.jpg
    IMG_0281.jpg
    374.4 KB · Views: 18

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
Jeff,
I just had 2 sets of Alpine GT interior made thru Martha Christiansen (ProPrep Interiors) I sent her an old set to use as a pattern.
The only parts I had her reupholster and return are the 3 cockpit finishers. Seeing that the original vinyl is no longer available, she used vinyl from a BMW, which closely matches Also, I sent an old interior set to our Club Tres Dan Richardson if you are on the East coast

Martha Christiansen is the best! She did my new Harrington Le Mans carpets from the originals and we were able to source red Wilton Wool from the same factory that made it in 1961.

junkman

Gold Level Sponsor
Yes, Martha is with out a doubt the best! Hopefully she has kept the patterns from Phyrman and will be able to help out on this project. I have been well pleased with the work she's done for 2 of my tigers. Thanks everyone for all comments and suggestions.
Jeff

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Interesting Mike, I will check today. My immediate task is get it to run reliably and it's certainly a challenge with those f ing Zeniths.
If you need any support with your Zenith's let me know. S3 ones are rather specific...