• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Cold valve adjustment

Acollin

Donation Time
1966 series V — stock

I know the valves on my car are supposed to be adjusted “hot”, but what is a person to do if the car has not been run for years and the owner is trying to set things up correctly for an “awakening”— a testing of systems so that all is working reasonably so a hot valve adjustment can be performed. Are there valve parameters For a cold valve adjustment?

thanks all
Andrew

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
I do it the same way that you'd do a hot adjust, 012 for intake, .14 for exhaust.
Then run the car until it's hot & do it again. You could always just check them before
starting and see how close ( or far) they are from each other.
You're not going to hurt anything just by starting the car, just don't run it for miles
without checking it.
By the way, I do it cold only when assembling a newly rebuilt engine. If it hasn't been run
in a long time, you could just check the gaps, but don't adjust until the car runs and you
get the car hot.

Hope that helps.
Cheers!
Steve

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Years ago, someone here measured the valves cold and hot and found very little difference. That doesn't mean a cold adjustment is good enough to keep, but does support Steve's 'cold then hot' recommendation.

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor
I do it the same way that you'd do a hot adjust, 012 for intake, .14 for exhaust.
Then run the car until it's hot & do it again. You could always just check them before
starting and see how close ( or far) they are from each other.
You're not going to hurt anything just by starting the car, just don't run it for miles
without checking it.
By the way, I do it cold only when assembling a newly rebuilt engine. If it hasn't been run
in a long time, you could just check the gaps, but don't adjust until the car runs and you
get the car hot.

Hope that helps.
Cheers!
Steve
I set mine about two thousandths loose warm it up and reset the valves!

RootesRooter

Donation Time
If its the current owner who last ran the car years ago, and it ran OK back then, there's no need to set the valves before starting it up again. They don't get out of whack just from sitting. Start it up, get it up to HOT running temperature, then check the clearances before it cools off.