• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Steering wheel mod

Joe Hannigan

Donation Time
Finished restoring a Series 5. My son is 6'5" and he can't drive it because the 15"' steering wheel is too big to fit his legs under. We want to put 13" steering wheel on it. Has anyone done this and is there an adapter kit that is the proper size for the shaft spline. Also if anyone has a woodgrain 13" wheel they want to sell that will work I'm interested. Any advise greatly appreciated
Thanks

Hodee

Donation Time
An early Mazda RX -7 has the right spline fitting for the steering wheel. The only little drawback is that if is a tapered spline and Sunbeam is a straight spline. I have used it for 8-9 years and no problems. I use a Grant 14” wheel.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
That eBay seller is not recommended. There's no way in hell that that steering wheel adapter will fit under the Bakelite clamshell. That SOB would not refund my money or take the return because I put it on the shelf and it was like 91 days since I purchased it.
In his benevolence he said he would offer me 50% of my purchase price if I pay return shipping as well.

alpine_64

Donation Time
@Joe Hannigan. Mota-lita do both boss and wheels for the alpines. If he wants to be comfortable driving it with his knees i recommend a dished wheel not flat.

Also the seats on series 3-v are height adjustable.. There is a pivoting bar under the back.. Make sure its retracted.. Lowers the seat about 1.5 inches.

Knightowl61

Gold Level Sponsor
I got a Grant 13" steering wheel & Mazda adapter at Autozone. several years ago. Autozone (and probably all chain stores) have many to choose from, some under $100.

Joe Hannigan

Donation Time
Thanks to everyone for the info. Looks like I have a few options. I get er done and let everyone know how it works out. Good to know about the ebay seller.

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
FWIW, I put in a Moto Lita from Sunbeam Specialties in my S3. I also used the standard push button horn that came with it. However, the adjustable steering column didn't fit. The adjusting nut and the center threaded rod itself stuck out too far. So I replaced the adjusting nut with two nuts (to jam them tight) and I cut off the extra threaded rod (gasp!). It can still be adjusted. It just needs two wrenches. Since no one else really drives the car but me, and when they do, they are fine with where the wheel is, I'm fine with that.

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
I am 6'8" tall and I am addressing this (along with my alger rack and pinion set up) with an aftermarket steering column that includes a tilt wheel function.